Puppy Sitters / Web Cams

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Jan 18, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Hi all

So another reason for Bella's night time antics could well be due to the erratic visits during the day. Turns out (as I was cc into an email from another customer) that Bella was left for 4.5 hours on 2 consecutive days!!!!! I'm very angry as I leave at 9am and return at 4.30pm so she was getting a visit at 10- too early but I was aware that's the only time in the am they had, but also her 12-1.30 visit became 3 pm on 2 days, ( not long before my return!)

It was another lady who worked from home and this is where the puppy party is held so she raised her concerns re times. This company have a very good reputation and they are nice people, but I feel they have taken on too many dogs. I've raised my concerns that I will not have her left for more than 3 hours max so has the other customer, so hoping this will get sorted ASAP, or I will start looking elsewhere.

Just shows , you pay put all this money thinking your baby is going to be ok, but don't really know what is happening when you are at work.

I feel so angry, but also extremely guilty that Bella was left for this amount of time. She did no damage except pull her blanket off her crate and a few newspapers :'( (now I know why!) .

It's made me realise I want to watch her to make sure she is ok before looking at alternatives eg day care.

A few of you mentioned web cams, videoing etc. I have an iPad, any suggestion on software or other video options, for Bella you understand, I want to check how she is alone. ;)

2. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Re: Puppy Sitters / Web Cams

My pup (now 8.5months) has been going to day care since 12 weeks. I know she is not kennelled and really enjoys her time there. However, I am not there and have to trust the owners. So far do good. However, I can empathise with how you must be feeling. What can you do? Maybe discussing your concerns with the sitters will make them do what you want. Or could you afford day care? I found that it wasn't much more than having someone pop in - about £5. I know it really adds up but it has been worth it for me. Best of luck :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hmmm...well, I think you have to have a clear agreement about the time windows within which your puppy will be visited. I like my webcam, and I also have traditional cctv...er...and a log on my alarm. But I trust my dog walker and don't check up on her. It's more important to have people you trust tbh, or you'll drive yourself mad checking and worrying.

4. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=9557.msg137850#msg137850 date=1421610115]
    My pup (now 8.5months) has been going to day care since 12 weeks. I know she is not kennelled and really enjoys her time there. However, I am not there and have to trust the owners. So far do good. However, I can empathise with how you must be feeling. What can you do? Maybe discussing your concerns with the sitters will make them do what you want. Or could you afford day care? I found that it wasn't much more than having someone pop in - about £5. I know it really adds up but it has been worth it for me. Best of luck :)
    [/quote]

It's another 7.50 a day for day care here, so works out a lot more expensive unfortunately, although I've heard dogs end up crated in some places too so wary of that option prefer her at home.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I use a webcam on my laptop at home and have an app on that and my phone called Jumicam. It cost about £2-£3 on a phone app. The laptop is in the living room where Harley stays when I'm at work. It is brilliant to be able to check in on them.
    I also have a dog walker twice a week and Harley goes to day care every now and then if I need to attend meetings and will be gone longer than 4 hours.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We've got an outdoor security camera that sends video to our phones, so if we want to we can see when our daycare/walking people arrive and leave. They are excellent - always do exactly what they say they will do. It is handy to be able to check in if you want to....