Puppy slings and toilet training.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tanya San Juan, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Tanya San Juan

Tanya San Juan Registered Users

Hello!
    We have chosen our new puppy and collect him at the end of August. I just have two questions.

Do people use puppy slings to take the puppy out to safe areas between the first and second vaccination?

Secondly, I live in an area with lots of foxes, but I want puppy to toilet outside - Would astroturf in a paddling pool be safe? I am intending on hanging this up out of fox/rat way each time we need to use it.

Thanks

2. Monty's human

Monty's human Registered Users

Hi, we carried Monty around in our arms before he was vaccinated - I spent some time looking at slings but couldn't settle on one, and they outgrow them so quickly I didn't bother in the end, but I believe some people do use them. I found I could carry Monty until he was around 12 kilos - well past the time he was allowed to go outside by the vet.
    I can't help on the astroturf question I'm afraid, it sounds sensible, but quite tiring putting it down then taking it up again given that young puppies toilet frequently, including at night. Depending on how you want to toilet train you might also be interrupting a wee in the house to whisk puppy outside, so not sure whether you'd then be able to sort the astroturf without putting puppy down? Perhaps another member of the forum can help more.
    I hope you enjoy your new puppy!

3. Katrin

Katrin Registered Users

Hi Tanya,

i also carried puppy weighing in around 8kgs for the first few weeks in my arms. If it was a longer trip a normal sized backpack/ school bag worn on my front worked totally fine.

Our property borders a railway track with foxes and rats. I know they roam my garden. To be honest I never even thought about any dangers for puppy toiletting outside on the grass. My pups were vaccinated at 8 weeks, toilettes outside on grass in my garden and were totally fine.

Maybe just put a quick call in to the vet and get their advise?

hope that helps. K