Puppy started seeing only in his bed??

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Andrea0408, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Andrea0408

Andrea0408 Registered Users

Weeing** Autocorrect!

We've had Hunter for 2 weeks now and we've been working on toilet training, he's never been in his crate and he tends to go to the back door himself when he needs to go. We've not had many accidents, usually when we don't notice he's at the back door. About an hour ago though he walked over to his bed in the living room (not the crate) specifically to do a wee. I took his bed out of his crate for him to lie on while his other bed is in the wash, took him outside but he didnt do anything but he came back in, walked straight over to it and did a wee on the bed from the crate! I don't understand whats going on?

2. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

Willow goes to the door but peed on the mat in the living room I grabbed her quick and put her outside.
    I think they just forget or something all you can do is keep up with the toilet training and clean the bedding as they go where they smell pee.
    Just put it down to accident.

3. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Dogs can be very substrate-specific with what they pee on, and often breeders have used puppy pee pads - which essentially feel like big absorbent cushions (or beds!) to dogs. The pup learns that toileting on absorbent materials in the house, is the way to go. Do you know what your breeder used for toilet training?

To break this little habit, I would be sure to wash all beds and bedding with biological laundry detergent which will break down the enzymes in the pee and also to dilute some in some water and use that to spray on the crate itself to give it a wipe over.

Then, I would close the crate and prevent access to the bed unless he has just had a pee outside. Then you know he is safe to go in there. Also, you can sprinkle a few pieces of kibble on the bed a few times a day - to make it into a 'food place' instead of a toilet place....

4. Andrea0408

Andrea0408 Registered Users

Thanks for your advice, he's never gone on a puppy pad even with the breeder, and often gets treats/kings in his beds.

He did the same thing between 5 and 6 yesterday evening, and in that hour he seems to need the toilet about 5 times so I think it's just something I'll need to keep an eye on and take him outside every 15 minutes.

5. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Needing to toilet very frequently and suddenly (urgently) can be a sign of a UTI, so do take him to the vet if it continues...