Puppy suddenly not eating kibbles

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by ana_charlie, Aug 4, 2015.

1. ana_charlie

ana_charlie Registered Users

Hi, my almost 3 months old pup earlier used to love his kibbles like crazy but since last 3-4 days hez not eating them like he used to. He only sniffs and then gets back and eats only when i feed him kibbles by my hands. Kibbles are not stale or anything as i keep them in an air-tight container. What wrong am i doing and how can i bring his interest back in kibbles?? What can i do so that he eats like he used to eat with all love and craze for his food??

P.S.
    I have not changed the brand or type its the same

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with him that would mean a trip to the vet? Does his tummy seem sore if you touch it? Is he going to the toilet OK? Is he drinking plenty? Puppies of this age can deteriorate rapidly if they don't get enough sustenance and water, so I think you should really consider a trip to have him checked up.

Other than that, you could try adding some warm water to his biscuits. I do this because it slows down how quickly my two eat, and also ensures they're getting plenty of water, but also the warm water makes it smell better to them. Any food dust/crumbs mix with the water to make a sort of thin gravy. I don't leave it to soak at all, so the biscuits still have their crunch. I also add salmon oil for their skin and coats, and I think this adds extra flavour, too.

3. ana_charlie

Yes he's drinking fine no issues with that and eating fine when he eats with my hands. Toilet thing is fine too i mean proper wee and poop. I tried adding warm water to his kibble but he didnt ate that at all :( and added little olive oil in the morning but still not much help. I think i was giving him little treats like veggies or our biscuits etc and this seems like he got a taste for them now and dont want to go to plain kibbles ;-)

4. Mylestogo

Mylestogo Registered Users

I went through this with Myles at about the same age. He just wasn't very interested in his food anymore. So at the suggestion of his breeder I just bought the wet version of the same food and started to mix if in. Problem solved and we've never had an issue since :). The other thing I realized is I was just feeding him too much.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Don't offer him any treats, especially biscuits intended for people. Don't feed him by hand and hopefully he'll start eating when there is no alternative. If he doesn't a trip to the vet would be a good idea, just to make sure there isn't a problem.

6. ana_charlie

Yes you are right i have stopped giving him anything but his food. Gave little food in the afternoon so he was lil hungry may be so ate his dinner on his own. I also added a spoon of olive oil and a spoon of warm water.
    So i think i'll follow guidelines given here and will see if this helps and if not i'll take him to vet.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'd agree, he shouldn't be eating human biscuits; there is too much sugar in them. Assuming you're talking about English biscuits and not American biscuits which, well, aren't biscuits ;)

8. ana_charlie

Hehehe yeah English biscuits not American
    Well we thought we'll improve his taste buds so gave everything in little quantity while working in kitchen and this is what back fired I guess
    Well Have stopped it all now. So hope he gets back to his "crazy for kibble" self again :) fingers crossed:)