Puppy suddenly peeing in house

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dino7, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Dino7

Dino7 Registered Users

A worried puppy owner looking for thoughts please!

Our puppy is now 4 1/2 months old and from the word go has been fantastic with his toilet training.
    He has never poo'd inside and has only ever done 4 pees inside - none in the last 3-4 weeks at least. He asks to go out regularly and we immediately oblige.

Suddenly today he has pee'd in the house 3 times with no warning or request to go out.
    First time he was sat with me, got up headed to the door so I followed but he immediately squatted to pee.
    Second time he had just had lunch and so I said to him lets go out. I opened the back door into the conservatory, he came through, I carried on and got to the back door (3 paces later) turned round and he was peeing on the conservatory floor!
    He has since done another inside.

Am I right to immediately think UTI?
    He seems fine otherwise. I realise he is still young enough to be unreliable house training wise but this is so out of the blue!

Any help appreciated.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, you are right to think UTI and you should get that checked out by a vet. :)

You are also right though that he is still a complete baby, and a few steps back in toilet training is often just how it is. :) But vet check is always the best thing to do if the behaviour is a sudden change.

3. Dino7

Dino7 Registered Users

Thanks Julie.

Forgot to add, and not sure if it's related or not but when he does go out he's started doing both pees and poo's on the patio rather than the grass.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It could be the weather?

5. Dino7

Dino7 Registered Users

Making him not want to go outside?

It's really mild and dry here for Autumn. Going out in the pouring rain never seems to bother him but certainly something to consider, thank you.

6. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Corona is 14 weeks old and has been reliably doing her business outside for weeks. That is until this past week. For her though, it's usually very early morning and it seems like she just doesn't want to take the time to get it done before coming back in. She pees in seconds, and shoots back for the door, walks quickly back to the bottom of the stairs to go back to her crate in our bedroom. Suddenly she realizes she has to poo and runs back to the door to go outside. But not always and definitely not early this morning because it was POURING rain. She stopped dead in her tracks, as though saying, I'm not going back out there, and proceeded with her poop! When I stopped her, she then ran around the first floor until I caught her and carried her out, she finished both pee and poo. We were both drenched AND very out of breath! Lol She has never been a fan of toileting in the rain, who can blame her. So I've learned two lessons this past week, she doesn't go back in the house until pee AND poop are complete first thing in the morning and I need to be extra vigilante about this when it's raining! Maybe something along this line is happening with your pup? That is, if it isn't a UTI. GOOD LUCK!

7. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

My boy is now 8 months old and hates going for his morning pee and poop in the rain...he holds it all as long as he can then will just go a few steps away from the back door to do the necessary then back in looking very unhappy - until the towel come out to dry him that is! I've even stood in the garden with an umbrella over the both of us when he was little!

Walks in the rain however are a completely different matter and he loves those, its just the back garden that is apparently disgusting when it's raining!