Puppy teething problems

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lynabby, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Lynabby

Lynabby Registered Users

My yellow girl named Abby is almost 5 months and doing it tough with teething. She has new teeth popping out everywhere and red swollen and bleeding gums. She leaves blood stained drool on the sheet we lay out over the carpet for her to sleep on in the lounge of an evening! When I let her out of the crate in the morning she constantly paws at her mouth and ears and has a dreadful breath. She has had intermittent soft poo from the time we brought her home at 8 weeks and has had many trips to the vet trying to sort out the cause and has had two courses of antibiotics. The vet eventually came to the conclusion she had food sensitivities but we thought it may have been plants she was eating in the yard. They have all been either pulled out or fenced off, but still she gets the runny poo. I now wonder if teething is causing this (probably not in the beginning, but certainly now). To add to all this, last night she vomited three times, not a lot each time, but enough to make her restless and alert us to her discomfort. Should I be concerned?

2. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum from me and my boy Bailey, a 16 month old fox red lab.

It does sound as if Abby is suffering with teething poor thing. I personally would at least speak to my vet about everything. Is Abby still eating and drinking normally? Does she still have plenty of energy and play and walk as usual?

To sooth her poor gums you could try giving her something frozen - I used an old clean tea towel that I soaked in water and then popped in the freezer for a couple of hours, Bailey then chewed on that on the days that he was uncomfortable with his teeth, also I gave him frozen carrots again to chew on.

Hopefully all this is linked to her new teeth coming through, but you are obviously concerned so yes I would at least have a conversation with the vet.

Good luck and hope all is OK soon for you

Jen123 likes this.
  3. Lynabby

Lynabby Registered Users

Hi Samantha, thank you for your welcome! Yes, she is still eating and drinking normally, but down on energy today, and yes, I have tried the frozen cloth. She spent ages chewing one last night, but didn't seem interested in one this morning. Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I would pop her to the vet as there are a couple of worries - hope she's better soon xx

And welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Mollie from Manchester UK :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's four years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab who is nine months old.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I would probably pop her to the vets just to get her checked over and see if they can recommend other things for the teething.

6. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

How is Abby today? Did you take her to the vet/speak to the vet?