Puppy training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Sep 30, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I saw someone mention the kikopup training videos on YouTube and now I'm completely hooked! I'd love to have a puppy as well trained as hers. I think the chances are fairly slim, however, (first time puppy mum) but I'm going to give it a good go :)

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Puppy training

I love her too and Pippa is always very generous indicating anything she's done that might help someone on the Forum...
    I have to a laugh though when she says ' This is my rescue pup 'dogs name' we've not tried this before' yeah right...as she then goes on and completes a perfect demonstration ;) Maybe I'm just bitter ;D ;D ;D ;D x

3. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I have a sneaky feeling they don't make the video until they have mastered it. So, no view of dog completely ignoring trainer, no view of trainer tearing hair out.

There is a video, from another contributer, of a dog waiting quietly by its mistresses side while guests enter. What they don't show you is its bum being super glued to the floor. ;D

I liken it to "Gardeners World" earth - perfect, weed free structure while the rest of us struggle with boulders and couch grass!

Kikopup is still good though, it does show you what you should be doing.

4. snowbunny

Oh, absolutely, I was under no illusion that this was after mastery! Still impressive, though, and the videos really help to show correct use of the clicker, something I've not done before. I've read Pippa's books and love them, but it really helps to see the techniques on film - if a picture paints a thousand words, a video can paint a million!

I'm taking some treats with me tomorrow when we go to stay with the litter and will be using them to charge the clicker before we bring our monster home on Sunday :)

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You will have the attention of the whole litter :) Unless you're going to have time alone with your puppy I'd probably just wait till you get home to introduce the clicker, so your puppy can focus on you :) Nothing wrong with taking treats though to dole out to the lot of them.

6. snowbunny

Oh, I was intending on having her separated from them and somewhere quiet to do it - just a couple of minutes here and there :)

7. Oberon

Sounds good then :)

8. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Snow bunny, why not wait until your puppy has been home a week and settled in before you charge the clicker? I am sure there will be other opinions but I just thought your pup has a big traumatic experience coming up and maybe the added clicker is not needed? On the other hand, I suppose it will just be a game for your puppy and a way of bonding as long as it is fun.
    I am sure you will be the best judge when you get there! :)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charging a clicker is harmless - it's just a game with treats for the pup.

I train with someone who has a new pup - she is an experienced trainer and her other dog is in the advanced class. Pup comes to beginners. The rest of us are spending ages getting 1 year old + dogs to learn lefts, rights, targets, place boards etc. this 12 week old pup has learned it all already! I am SO going to do more clicker foundation work in the early days with my next pup...saves masses of time later. Sigh, you live and learn....

10. snowbunny

I see it as being just fun for the puppy, certainly not something that would add to the stress of leaving the litter. She'll be getting lots of treats for effectively doing nothing! I'm not talking about starting the training until after she's settled, but my thought is that if I can make a good association with the clicker before we get home, I may be able to use it (alongside treats) for rewarding good behaviour in her crate, going to the loo etc.

But I'm willing to take advice if others think it's a bad idea? :-\

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't think it matters. It won't harm the pup, won't add to her stress - it's listening to a click and getting a treat - but probably is not going to make a huge difference to her training. If you want to do it, go ahead.

If you want a good clicker book for the early days, try "a perfect foundation" by Kay Laurence. If you might later be interested in gundog work, also get Pippa's "the right start".

12. Oberon

If you can get her alone I'd go ahead and do it. As Julie said, no stress or pressure is involved. It's purely creating an association. Only thing I'd do is maybe muffle the clicker up your sleeve the first couple of clicks so it's a softer sound while you gauge the reaction.

If I had a puppy I'd be using the clicker on day one (rewarding heavily for even the tiniest, basic attempts). My first pup learnt sit, drop, stand and the recall cue (in the garden) within days of coming home and with no trouble at all :)

13. snowbunny

I have one of those CLIX multi clickers because I found regular clickers too harsh for my ears, let alone a dog's! It's pretty quiet on its softest setting but I'll have another play in the morning and think about whether it's still too loud and needs muffling. Thanks for your responses :)