Puppy Treat Excitement

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by SullyBear, Apr 9, 2020.

1. SullyBear

SullyBear Registered Users

I would like to eventually be able to slowly give my lab pup a treat (patiently wait). I know this takes practice with arousal levels/impulse control training.

Any suggestions, advice and experiences to up for success?

Thank you!

2. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

You will need to teach him sit and stay first. Once he is able to sit and stay while you are holding the treat then start putting it on the floor and say 'leave it'. This will take time to teach and if he moves to go for it pick the treat up and make him sit again before putting it back down.

If you are clicker training then use the clicker for when he can get the treat, as when they hear the click it means they have done good.

It does take time and if Sully is a typical lab he will be all about the food!

SullyBear likes this.
  3. SullyBear

Yes I do clicker train. I would like more patience as I am giving him a treat (not instantly getting aroused when anticipating a treat). I usually have to keep my hand cupped or flat. Or I drop the food on the floor, I use his kibble as treats all day). I find him way too excited if I have the kibble in between my fingers to give him - he tries to take down my entire hand lol. I kind want to keep my fingers!

We have been doing alot of bite inhibition work, impulse control and arousal level work. Reinforcing the calm and getting him heightened then being able to decompress.

So far he is doing awesome. But things like if I have food in my pocket (pants) he won't stop sniffing or going at it and when I try to give him a treat with fingers (ouchies).

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

You can teach your puppy to take food patiently without giving any cues and without teaching any other skills. Make a fist with some treats inside and hold it out to the dog. Once the dog stops trying to get into your fist, you can gradually start to uncurl your fist. Close it whenever the puppy moves towards the treats, open it whenever the puppy backs away. As soon as the puppy backs away for long enough for you to do so, take a treat from your hand with the other hand and feed it to the puppy. This simple exercise teaches the puppy that controlling themselves is the way to unlock your hand

SullyBear likes this.
  5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

If the puppy bites at your fingers when you give the treat, you can teach him to lick the treat out of them - by not releasing the treat until he uses his tongue instead of his teeth. Another tip is to push the treat towards the puppy's mouth - we all tend to pull away when we think we are going to get bitten. Pushing the treat firmly to the dog makes them less likely to grab and more likely to pull back a little

SullyBear likes this.
  6. SullyBear

Awesome thank you Pippa! I am going to start that today!