Puppy unmotivated by food

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Labracadabra, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Labracadabra

Labracadabra Registered Users

Hello, we have a new labrador puppy who is day 2 at home. We have previously had labs that were adopted as adult dogs, so I am less familiar with what is normal for a labrador pup. I want to get off to the best start with training and have read as much as I possibly can but I'm surprised to find that our little lab does not seem very food motivated. Is this just early days settling in? Or are some labradors less food focused? She didn't eat much on her first day at home, she ate maybe half her kibble at each meal today. I put some treats in a ball to give her some activity but she just left that. I gave her a treat when she toileted in the correct spot but she just ate a bit of it and left the other chunk lying on the ground. She's lively and active otherwise, so I'm a bit confused.

2. Chris N

Chris N Registered Users

What's she like now?

First couple of days are one just grazed.
    Wouldn't panic unless it goes on a long time and effects her health.

Chris

3. Labracadabra

Labracadabra Registered Users

I realised that I had misunderstood how the breeder was feeding her. She had been mixing mince in with the kibble. Once I did the same she ate with gusto. I think she had been starving due to fussiness! She's still not at all interested in freeze dried liver treats and the like. I'm going to wait a few days and see whether she develops a taste for any of the training treats I have on offer. I have tried using her kibble for training but she has no interest.