Puppy waking up multiple times at night

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Nadine Adams, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Nadine Adams

Nadine Adams Registered Users

My 12 week old puppy - Hunter - is liking his crate a lot more (thank you for all the great advice on my first posting). Hunter has always woken up twice to go to the toilet in the night which he seems to genuinely need and over the last few weeks we have set alarms so not to encourage the whining and to help him fall asleep easier when he goes back to bed. He was waking up at midnight (despite last toilet break at 10:15/10:30). Through setting an alarm and moving it back each night we have now got this to 2:15 and he has a wee very quickly before going straight back to sleep. He has recently been waking up around 3:30 needing a poo before sleeping straight through to 6ish. It’s the 330 wake up I am struggling with as I am trying to push this to later and later considering his first wake up is now at 2:15 which is later throughout the night then it used to be. Has anyone else has similar or could recommend a way to getting this to only one wake up? I could perhaps trial this evening to see what time he naturally wakes up now that he is a little bit older but the alarm for the first wake up is working well. We were initially concerned that the wake ups were attention but he goes to the toilet quite quickly on both.

Hunter gets his last meal at 6:30 and a little snack around 8:30. We take his water away around 8. He is also on three meals a day.

thanks so much!

Thank you!

2. Crofton138

Crofton138 Registered Users

Hi Nadine, I have my puppy on her last meal at 6pm (3 meals per day) and nothing after that apart from a few bits of kibble. I tried last toilet stop at around 10.30pm but found that I was getting up twice in the night to let her out. I moved to a later bed time of around 11.30pm or midnight and that meant I was just getting up once in the night at around 3.30am. Now, at 16 weeks, she sleeps through from around 11.30pm to 7am. At the last toilet stop, I find my puppy will wee and then after another 5-10 mins, she'll then poo. Try waiting a bit longer and see if you can get all the toilet business done before bed time.

Sukhpreet Aujla likes this.
  3. Sukhpreet Aujla

Sukhpreet Aujla Registered Users

My pup is 16 weeks and goes to bed around 11pm, we wake her for a wee at 6am and she's back sleeping until 7.30am and will push the 6am time back slowly. I think if you leave the last meal at 6.30pm it's fine but try and keep him awake for longer so he's got time to empty. My pups water is picked up at 8pm but she still does a wee just before sleeping. You could maybe stop the 8.30pm snack and give him a snack right before bed. I use Lilys kitchen bedtime snacks I've no idea if they help but it's a sign to Clover that bedtime is 10 minutes away and maybe helps with hunger as well