Puppy wants to sleep outside

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by visbac, Dec 1, 2017.

1. visbac

visbac Registered Users

Hi everyone,

I got my first labrador puppy and he is about 13-14 weeks old now. Everything has been fine up until now without any weird behavior issues. He stays outside and I have a dog house built for him with his bed inside in which he slept perfectly fine. However, just the past 2 days he drags his bed outside and folds it and sleeps on top in the cold. It is about 43 degrees outside and he chooses to sleep outside rather then his dog house. Should I be worried he is gonna freeze? Thanks for any help!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hey visbac and welcome to the forum. Does your puppy have a really thick coat? My show-bred dog ran really hot as a puppy and would prefer to be outside when the heating was on in the house. I picked her up in late December, so inside was kept toasty and outside was cold. Quite often when I took her out for a night-time pee, she'd lay down and want to go to sleep out there. I didn't let her because I don't want my dogs to be left outside unattended, but given the choice that's what she would have done.

3. deadandchocolatey

deadandchocolatey Registered Users

We're quite lucky in Australia because it doesn't tend to get very cold at night where I live, even in winter. Plus we have a sheltered undercover sitting area just outside, where I can see and hear Stampy from when he's napping there during the day. He also rejected his cozy ittle doghouse in favour of the cool tiles! Honestly, he's so happy there I would feel comfortable letting him sleep outside overnight until 4 or 5am when he wants cuddles until I get up.

The only reason I don't is because we have those bloody cane toads everywhere, and they're terrible, poisonous little monsters I'm scared Stampy will chase after and bite.

4. visbac

visbac Registered Users

I'm not too sure about the coat, this is my first lab and I havent seen any other labs yet so hard to compare if he has a thick coat. He sometimes goes back in his house to sleep, I guess up to him on how he is comfortable.