Puppy with overshot jaw

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by SueH, Apr 7, 2019.

1. SueH

SueH Registered Users

Hi, I'm due to collect my new labrador puppy in 1 week and the breeder has just told me that when the pups were taken to the vet on Friday she noted my pup had a 'slightly overshot jaw'. He was exactly 7 weeks old at this appointment and is otherwise very healthy.

Can anyone tell me something about this? I've never heard of it before and don't know what it means for my pup. I was about to arrange pet insurance with Direct Line and when I let them know about this they said that any treatments arising from this pre-existing condition would not be covered by the insurance. Is it likely to mean expensive treatments in the future?

I'm not planning to show him or breed from him but I'm not rolling in money and I've gone from being excited to rather concerned! Any advice or information would be very happily received.

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @SueH

Welcome to the site.

There is a possibility that the lower jaw will grow so that the top and bottom teeth align properly. At the moment your puppy has an overbite.

If this does not happen, then you are in for some expensive dental treatment depending on the degree of displacement. The problem is that the lower canine teeth need to be cut so that they do not pierce the palate. Then need to be filled. One has to ensure the puppy does not break the filled canine teeth on bones, etc.

If I were you I would avoid buying the puppy. Sorry.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi @SueH , I agree with Michael. The other alternative is that the breeders cover the costs his dental work for you, if you trust them. They might as he will be hard to home now. I once took a pup with a defect and the breeders sort of compensated us for it. It was worth it, she was a fabulous dog .

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Before making a decision, I would get the phone number of the vet who examined the puppy and said this and get the breeder's consent and phone and speak to the vet. Express your concerns about the puppy and ask the vet about the prognosis. There are many many different kinds of dental issues - some of them are minor and insignificant and will rectify themselves as the puppy grows. Others can require quite considerable treatment. You need to speak to a medical professional who has examined the puppy, to find out what the situation is, for this pup...