Puppy with sore itchy ears

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Stansma, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Stansma

Stansma Registered Users

hi

We are new here, we have a 10 weeks old labXretriever and are going through all the usual puppy problems so discovered this forum.

Last night Stanley had an unsettled night (was previously sleeping through) and this morning I noticed he was scratching at his ears. I cleaned them and lots of black discharge came out. The scratching got worse and was clearly upsetting him so we went to the vet.

She did a more thorough clean than me, suggested it may be ear mites and gave us drops.

However he is now squeeling when he scratches one ear, so I took a look and he’s got a red sore in one of the folds. I presume from scratching.

Is there anything I can put on it to soothe it? Our vet is now closed until Monday.

I feel so bad for him and he just seems to be making it worse by scratching. Any advice welcome.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Put a cone on so he can't scratch it and make it worse?

3. Aisling Labs

Aisling Labs Registered Users

Good old fashioned vaseline works for us with our Labs when one has an ear problem.

As for that black gunk, we treat with Zymox which is a med that works with the gook in the ear to balance all the things that go on in the ear of a Labby. I've found that it is the most effective treatment after spending hundreds of dollars on two of our labs ears. Our Vet finally gave up and told us to get it and it worked despite two rounds of antibiotics not having cleared up our Angus' massive double ear infection. Zymox is available from Amazon.com

4. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

We took ours to vets a while back with an ear infection, they gave us some drops that cleared it up within two weeks.

Recently I was recommended to try Stinky Stuff ear drops and they are excellent!.

[​IMG]

5. Stansma

Stansma Registered Users

I popped a barrier cream on and it has seemed to help.
    I’ll look up zymox, thank you!
    And I’ve heard of that stinky stuff, so I’ll look that up too.
    Thanks all :)