Puppy's first off lead walk

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Buddy, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Buddy

Buddy Registered Users

I’ve discovered there is a fairly local fenced in paddock that I’m going to attempt off lead walkies today - I’m prepped with lots of treats and only gave Buddy half his breakfast this morning.
    This is only his 3rd walk out and about so hoping he’s still more interested in me than anything else.
    I’ve done a few drop lead recalls between my daughter and myself and that’s gone well. But have been a bit worried about just letting him off on the beach / in the woods or fields incase I lose him !!
    Any hints gratefully received! :)
    H & B

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Buddy

My suggestion: try to do counter-clockwise circles first so that the dog is having to constantly watch you.

Give treats when he is in position. Then try clockwise circles. Reward as he gets into position. Don't slow down. Make the dog keep to your pace.

Turns come next. Reward if he stays in position.

If all is going well, then try heeling in straight lines, but include plenty of turns so that the dog has to be attentive to you. Reward if he gets into position.

Some handlers uses a dog tab or very short lead as a transition between lead and no lead. You can buy a short piece of rope and attach to the collar.

Let us know how you go.

The alternative is to use shaping. I can explain that for heeling if you run into difficulty.

Anthony Abrao and Buddy like this.