1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Pyramid pans for dog treats

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by snowbunny, Dec 21, 2017.

1. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ha ha! I only have a small (3 drawer) freezer - the whole top drawer is devoted to Coco's treats - beef, sausage, chicken drumsticks..and pyramid treats.

drjs@5 and Beanwood like this.
  2. MF

MF Registered Users

We have a 2-drawer freezer with a small top shelf. The two big drawers are for Snowie’s food! Suffice to say we can barely freeze anything for ourselves.

edzbird likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I keep them in an open bowl and they last a week without going bad, for sure.

4. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Mine went mouldy after 6 days, perhaps I’ll try not keeping them in an airtight jar.

5. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

These are great, I made my first batch this week, using 2 small tins of sardines , one egg and a small quantity of gluten free flour. I'm everso pleased with them.

They worked a treat this morning, I'm having to work pretty darn hard to be more interesting than the deer scent in the woods now that spring is here.

snowbunny and edzbird like this.
  6. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster Forum Supporter

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I appear to be the only one who has failed at these. Mine shrank completely in the trays, literally disappeared in places, and the pieces I salvaged were rubbery and soft, like an overlooked omelette.
    I used a pack of turkey mince, 500g ish, 2 eggs, a tablespoon of flour, and a bit of grated Parmesan. I added in a fair bit of water to make a thin, spreadable batter.

More flour? Less water?

7. snowbunny

Less water! Water promotes shrinkage.

8. leejane

Hmm, thought it might be, will try again.
    But then that's it, I'm giving up. I'll buy the bloody treats.

9. snowbunny

I don’t add any water at all. Tuna in oil, eggs, flour, that’s it. If I want it funnier, I add more eggs or oil.

10. SteffiS

SteffiS Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Although I didn't use any water in mine and did use a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil - I found turkey mince much less successful in the pyramid pans than tinned fish. My turkey mince ones remained quite soft whereas the fish ones were lovely and crisp, maybe it's a turkey mince thing.

11. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

I have used turkey mince. I added only around 2 tablespoons of water, 2 eggs, x1 tin sardines in oil and 130g spelt flour, 100g parmesan cheese. teaspoon parsley, a glug of salmon oil.

I then overfill the pyramids. I bake for 20mins, chill until cold. Then I empty, cut some squares, or leave some strips of pyramids which I break when out walking. Once they are the right size, I pop back into the oven to crisp up. I am making some with venison today so will take photos. :)

leejane likes this.
  12. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

You’re all such good dog mams., poor Stanners gets gravy bones :D

13. leejane

We get through a lot of gravy bones too. :DThey fit perfectly in some of his chew toys. There are a few brands without any sugar in, which I try to go for if I can which makes me feel a bit better about it.

14. SteffiS

SteffiS Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So you mixed sardines with the turkey mince, hadn't thought of that. Which Parmesan do you use? The ready grated or a block you grate yourself? I have both but tend to use the ready grated for Ripple.

15. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Have just made my first batch of sardine treats. They look good - a bit rubbery. Dogs have given their seal of approval. I have put them in an air tight container (the treats, not the dogs :rolleyes:) - is this a good idea or not?

16. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's what I do, and keep them in the fridge with no problems. My second batch were a bit rubbery, I think because I didn't cook them for long enough.

They're great, I find them so easy to make and use, and are high value for Cassie. She's very relieved that Red and Sky have not been put in a airtight container :)

17. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I will do that, thank you. Yes I don’t think I cooked them quite long enough but there’s always next time :).

selina27 likes this.
  18. Dill

Dill Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a great thread - thanks to all who’ve contributed. I’ll be off to Amazon for my mat and get baking well in advance of my trip to the west of Ireland to collect my pup, Dilly, who’ll be 5 months old by then. I’ve got a week there to convince her that I’m FAR more interesting than anyone she’s yet met :happyfeet:. Then it’s into the car for the long journey home via Stena ferry... Lots of treats are going to be needed I guess.

One question though... I get that I need to avoid overfeeding by counting treats into the daily food allowance but how do these equate to the amount of kibble that she’ll be on?

19. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi @Dill, I would think of the trip to Ireland a bit differently from your usual feeding routine. It does depend on how far you are travelling of course but I would be tempted to stick to a very light diet and use her usual kibble on the homeward bound trip as treats. Things can go horribly wrong very quickly when it comes to puppies and cars! Your best bet is to get her as comfy as possible and hope she sleeps most of the way! :)

Dill, selina27 and Cath like this.
  20. Dill

Dill Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks for your thoughts on the feeding regime for this journey - very helpful. Yes, I’ll keep fingers crossed that sleep will be her main activity en route!