Question about water bowl?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by irod87, Dec 17, 2015.

1. irod87

irod87 Registered Users

Should I leave the water bowl out with water at all times or should I only fill it when giving food? The problem I have with leaving it out is my puppy will drink some here and there and then go pee without alerting she needs to go.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I usually leave water out for mine. they had a few accidents when they were tiny like yours but grew out of it.

3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Fred has always had water out all the time

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

A dog should have access to fresh water at all times, so he can quench his thirst when he feels the need.

5. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

I have water down until an hour before bedtime.

Young puppies need watching for signs that they need to go, sniffing and sometimes circling, but sometimes they do just go. Jake's now 14.5 weeks and goes to the front door and looks back at me. He doesn't always need out to pee, sometimes he just wants to sit at the door and watch the world go by.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

During the day it's essential that they have access to fresh water all the time especially if they have dried food.

Having a drink when little = straight outside. Small pups need watching all the time!

When the pups are little we pick up an hour before bed time. After 5 months it's fine to leave the water down all the time :)

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

As others say water available at all times. A young puppy will not give you signals that they want to pee or poop until the very last minute as they simply don't have the control. Regular trips out will help house train your puppy when they wake from a sleep, after playing, after eating and about every hour in between. Young puppies toilet training is exhausting but doesn't last long as with every week it becomes a little easier.

8. Tatti

Tatti Registered Users

We have always had water available. Tatti has a bowl in the kitchen where she is fed and in her pen where she is locked at night. Accidents are inevitable early on, if I can give you one tip it is not to stress about it- I got so mad at myself every time Tatti had a pee inside, thinking I wasn't doing a good enough job but honestly- when they are really young, you do your best to go out regularly but there will always be times when they just go.
    I think the availability of water is really important, especially if you feed them kibble.

I hope it goes well :)

9. irod87

irod87 Registered Users

We have been leaving the water out and the accidents have been very minimal. I do try to have it empty a little while before bed time.