questions from a 1st timer !!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Carebear32, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Carebear32

Carebear32 Registered Users

Hi all

Okay Izzy will be 10weeks on wednesday. She is doing really well sleeps well in her crate.
    So my 1st question I have a 10month old baby who is always dropping things on the floor is there anything i can do to stop izzy running to get these items and me having to chase her.

House training. Roughly how long does it take to train them ? Also the time inbetween wees is it normal to go maybe every 40/50mins in the morning but in the evening she can only last 10/15 mins but come 9.30ish she can last an hour ??

Thanks

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: questions from a 1st timer !!!

I would think that the best thing, at the moment, is to restrict Izzy to a room where you can supervise her and your little one together . She is far too young to be able to train to a reliable standard re the grabbing what the baby drops but you could make a start by offering a swap ? So , Izzy picks something up , you ask her to Leave , when she gives it to you , she gets a treat , this of course might be more difficult if she picks up dropped food as its most likely eaten immediately ;)
    Housetraining , they are all different, many pick it up really quickly where others can take a long time . Izzy probably lasts longer in the evenings because she isnt as active and maybe not drinking quite so much , just make sure that you whip her outside every half hour/hour , straight after food and straight after a nap , good luck ,it must be hard work :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - call her to you in a happy voice and swap for a treat. This is worth training for in case the pup gets something she seriously shouldn't have. Tatze was dancing round with a poisoned rat - I was able to swap it for a treat. These days I have a tripe stick (even smellier than a dead rat!) on hand to swap for 'special' finds :) Never chase - the pup will LOVE being chased and interpret it as a game - and it won't be long before there is NO WAY you could catch her anyway!

My niece has ten month old twins and a Springer puppy ::)

He positions himself under the high chairs for dropped food!

When the twins were on the floor Bryn had his own puppy pen in the same room. But now he's a bit older he's been trained to leave the twin's toys alone. He's a gun dog so he gets plenty of exercise and training with his Dad - but I don't envy them the hard work of puppy + babies!

All the best! :)

4. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

All good advise.

I can only say welcome and express my admiration for you. Three kids and a puppy. When do you sleep?

5. Carebear32

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=5658.msg71830#msg71830 date=1398756743]
    All good advise.

I can only say welcome and express my admiration for you. Three kids and a puppy. When do you sleep?
    [/quote]

thanks molly it is hard alot harder than i thought it would. But it will all work out good. Its just the toilet training i am finding hard.

Thanks fir your replies.

6. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi Clare, glad you posted, I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were getting on. How you juggle 3 young kiddies and a puppy is beyond me! I'm knackered looking after one puppy and looking forward to my night-time visits to the garden ::)

7. Carebear32

[quote author=Debs link=topic=5658.msg71963#msg71963 date=1398801977]
    Hi Clare, glad you posted, I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were getting on. How you juggle 3 young kiddies and a puppy is beyond me! I'm knackered looking after one puppy and looking forward to my night-time visits to the garden ::)
    [/quote]f

Hi ya.

I'm not going to lie ! It's not easy the older two are grand it's hard with Jude he is 10 months and crawling and wanting to be on the floor. It's alot harder than I thought it would be. The first week my mil came to help that was a god send. We have her two weeks today and this week is easier I'm on my own and we have had no accidents since Friday. The crate is great I'd be lost with out it.

Housebound for the last 2 weeks also. So looking forward to getting out and about with her. The first three days were the hardest. But we are all getting use to our new routine. Just can't want till she is toilet trained. Then I can enjoy her !!!

How are you getting on ? Maisie any better at night and in the crate ??

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Really pleased to hear that she' spot the message with toilet training, it makes life SO much easier.

There will be accidents, but usually it is because YOU are not properly trained at getting HER messages

9. Carebear32

[quote author=Mollly link=topic=5658.msg72309#msg72309 date=1398884478]
    Really pleased to hear that she' spot the message with toilet training, it makes life SO much easier.

There will be accidents, but usually it is because YOU are not properly trained at getting HER messages
    [/quote]

That is so true !!