Quick question

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Lyndsey, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Lyndsey

Lyndsey Registered Users

Brand New to the forum, but have been feeding raw forever :)...my 6 year old, Becks, has recently started chewing on his paws... completely new :(...we haven't changed his diet and he has an extremely varied one...could it just be that he is "getting older" and not as tolerant to his usual stuff, or could he just be experiencing seasonal hayfever??? We moved to Germany about a year and a half ago, so this is only his second summer here. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks so much everyone, xx

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

Hi there and welcome to the forum! Not sure where you moved from, but I moved from the US (California) to Germany several years ago and my dog also started having horrible allergies this time of year. It was like clockwork and happened late summer every year for the rest of his life. He'd had some skin problems as a young dog and I always had to be careful about his ears, but the allergy thing was new.

My vet here said it was likely grass allergies and that she saw it a lot. He would get a shot (steroids/antibiotics), same combo as a topical and then oral antibiotics for about five days. That would clear it up as long I went to the vet immediately when I saw a hot spot. I wasn't too keen on the steroids or antibiotics, but I discovered if I tried to cure it naturally, or asked that we skipped the shot and just tried topical, the whole thing would get much worse. So I just learned - first sign of the annual August hot spot, straight to the vet for the magic shot.

My boy also chewed on his paws after the move, which he didn't before. That became more of a year-round problem, worse this time of year.

For most things, Germany is doggie paradise...for the allergies, maybe not so much!

3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Any change from normal without an identifiable cause I would go to the vet to have it checked. It could be an allergy or it could be a behavioural indicator of other conditions.