Rabbit leg

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Oct 21, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Well, Willow had a rabbit leg and a bit of its liver for her lunch today. She gobbled up the liver in no time, but she didn't seem to understand the leg was food at first and decided to bury it under her vetbed. Freak. A couple of minutes later, though, and she was chomping away happily. It took her a lot longer to finish than the chicken wings, so I assume that the bone is a lot harder in a rabbit than in a chicken - I've heard that avian bones are quite hollow, but not sure of the truth in this. Anyway, she eventually chomped her way through it and then dozed off in her crate while we had our slightly less exotic cheese and biscuits for lunch!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Rabbit leg

Well done Willow.
    ;D ;D

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, bird bones are quite light. Not hollow as such, but cleverly engineered to be light and still strong enough. A rabbit leg bone is not too hard for a pup though - it's a good thing to use. Sounds like she has fully mastered the art of rabbit leg eating :)

4. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Wonderful! We've not tried Bob yet on any raw meat... not until we get his tummy sorted out at any rate. Can I ask are you doing the full raw food diet? Or was this just a special treat for Willow?

Lou x

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would love to feed all raw, and could manage at this stage but, sadly, we don't have enough freezer space to raw feed a fully grown hoover Labrador.

So, I'm planning to feed raw as much as I can, but supplementing with kibble. Some people say that a dog's stomach isn't able to cope mixing kibble and raw, but this seems to be entirely anecdotal, with no scientific backing, so we're going for the "suck it and see" method :D

The thought now is that she will get one meal, or large snack, a day that's raw meat/bone and she'll also get some nice raw veggies such as carrots, broccoli etc. I'm going to see my friendly (sadly not too local) butcher this weekend to see if he's approachable for giving us some nice meaty bones for not a lot of money. I can buy chicken carcasses in the supermarket - 4 for less than €1 - but I'm sure a local butcher would do them, and other bones, even cheaper if I Willow flutters her eyelashes!

One of the most important things for me about the raw feeding - other than the obvious - is the extra mental stimulation she gets trying to work out how best to eat it. Not so much with the liver, though, which was just inhaled ;)