1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Rally online

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Joy, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

This is our entry for the latest competition from rallyonline.org -level 1. We scored 198 (out of 210) which I was pleased with.

Anyone who hasn’t seen the site, do have a look and consider entering - next one is in June. It’s open to all countries and is obviously easier than ‘real-life’ competition. Entries are only £3 though there is an initial registration fee. You also receive a useful mark sheet so you can see where you lost marks ( you start with a perfect score and lose marks for errors).

Naya, selina27 and Xena Dog Princess like this.
  2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

And here is our attempt at level 2 which we didn’t enter. All looks good till about halfway when Molly decided a game in the sand would be much more fun.

3. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Awesome! Thank you. I will definitely take a look.

Joy likes this.
  4. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Molly is so calm, very well done. And how sweet to see her deciding a bit of play would be nice...

Joy and selina27 like this.
  5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

She's so calm and steady in the first video, and she's got a beautiful loose lead. She's calm and steady in the second one too until she does the dreaded "Labrador Lunge" :D You were both looking really good there too!

Joy likes this.
  6. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well done @Joy, that's a very good score.

I'll have a look, I did a puppy one at a fun show , I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, I found it was good for my concentration and I think would be good for sharpening up on what Cassie knows.
    Ha ha, oh yes ---:D:D

Joy likes this.
  7. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ooh.. I'll definitely have a look! I can't believe how calm Molly is. Our Rally is a lot more, um, frantic!

Hehe, the second video is great. Calm, calm, calm, lunge, calm, nope - completely done and playing tuggy with the lead :rolleyes:

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Two different trainers have urged me to ‘gee her up’ a bit / get her going forward with more impulsion, but when I do this she thinks it’s a game and starts bouncing around and grabbing the lead. I obviously haven’t found the right way to communicate what I want -controlled energy.

She’s actually much better at heelwork off-lead (I suppose because I’m a bit lazy and rarely practise on lead) but we are still in the early stages where for competition she has to be on lead.

selina27 likes this.
  9. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's funny because I had a quick look at the courses online and most of the stations are the same/similar to the ones we use. I was actually thinking of trying a few of them off lead as that's the level we're at in trials. Ella has a habit of drifting a little in the heeling, which can make the stations a little tricky (e.g. Left pivot is tricky if she's sitting out of position a bit when we halt).

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

If you wanted to enter you could always start at level 3 ( the first level that is off lead) as Sally, the person who runs the competitions, is happy for people to enter at the level they are at in real life.
    Here is this month’s level 3 winner:

I have Molly on lead in real life for such short times that she sees it as a time when she mooches along. I really do need to train on-lead for heelwork so that she keeps as close as off lead.

selina27 likes this.
  11. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Thanks for posting! I'm starting a rally class at the end of the month with the goal of entering our first outdoor trial at the end of May. I have to work on Quinn's positioning quite a bit, as she turns to face me when she sits, even from a heel position. We are definitely less calm, as I have always used a high pitch voice and fast pace for Quinn's heel...which I probably will also have to work on a lot in the next month! I may be too nervous to actually go through with the trial...we'll see!

Joy likes this.
  12. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think a faster pace is probably a good thing and something I need to achieve.

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Great videos @Joy! You have given me some ideas for an April challenge..:)

Joy likes this.
  14. selina27

selina27 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

@Joy, Where did you get the instruction cards from? Am I right in thinking that you made your own a few months ago?
    Yes, I do too, but it's always a fine line between upbeat encouragement and over threshold kangaroo Cassie -- although she is improving at nearly 2 :D:D

QuinnM15 likes this.
  15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

selina27 likes this.
  16. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

If I don't keep her attention with my "Quinn" voice, she is looking around for something better to do!

selina27 likes this.