Raw Diet vs Allergies in Puppy

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Maisie Mae, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Maisie Mae

Maisie Mae Registered Users

I have a 3-1\2 mo old Labrador puppy who was diagnosed yesterday with atopic dermatitis. She is allergic to a number of environmental issues. I was told she would need allergy immunotherapy for the rest of her life. I would like to avoid this if possible. A friend told me if I put her on a raw diet, giving her immune system a chance to grow, that shots wouldn’t be necessary ... the allergies would most likely go away with a healthy immune system. Has anyone experienced something similar with good results? I would purchase already made food meeting AAFLO profile requirements, wouldn’t make it myself, with the goal of meeting the nutritional requirements of a puppy. My vet is not supportive of raw food, in fact I can’t find one that is, so reaching out to you hoping for similar experience. Thank you so much!

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

I think the good thing with raw is you can limit the type of protein in the food and thereby sort out potential allergens.
    If you buy good quality complete meals it should make it easier. I switched to reduce the carbs as my lab has cancer but also so sort out his stomach issues. Apart from day 1 when I switched him to chicken and it went straight through him he hasn’t had a single problem since last October. We are not quite there with his scratching. I have realised recently he scratches more after he has had a marrow bone and also the dried sprats he gets as training treats. So far so good with duck turkey and salmon. I use Nutriment.
    It’s worth a try against a lifetime of medication. Start with one of the less common meats like duck. You don’t need to do it gradually.
    Might also be worth finding a holistic vet who is onboard with raw feeding.
    By the way how was she diagnosed?

3. Maisie Mae

4. Maisie Mae

Hi JD, thank you for replying. We were struggling for over a month with the itching and chewing, visiting vets trying to figure out what was wrong. She was on 2 different antibiotics for possible infection and also treatments for fleas and mites. We finally took her to an animal dermatologist who did an allergy screen. The screen result was environmental allergies|atopic dermatitis. My feeling is her immune system never had a chance to mature with all the antibiotics she ingested so my hope is the raw diet will help build it back up to the point her body will handle any allergy. I might be totally wrong but worth a chance. I really valued your input ... thank you!

5. J.D

J.D Registered Users

It’s a tricky one.
    We have had a consult with a dermatologist as Toby has allergies.
    The first step was an Anallergenic dog food(not hypoallergenic) to rule out food allergies for 6 weeks. If symptoms persisted(which they did to a lesser degree) I then reintroduced raw. The next stage is skin tests under anaesthetic(as Toby is not keen on the vets) These skin tests are supposed to be a lot more reliable than blood tests. No idea of the costs as I am putting off going back as he has just has another Cancer staging anaesthetic.
    Will follow your progress and see how you get on with the raw. Certainly worth a try. All the best.

6. Maisie Mae

Thank you JD! And to you and Toby as well!! After some time I’ll update ... fingers crossed!!

J.D likes this.