1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Raw Feeding and IBD

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Lil' Alex, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Lil' Alex

Lil' Alex Registered Users

On Thursday, Luna was diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). It's usually seen in older dogs not a 2.5 yr old so you can imagine our surprise when we got the news. Our vet has recommended taking Luna off of raw completely and to introduce her to a low fat, low protein dry food. The vet would rather I fed Hills Science Plan however I have found a decent cold pressed dry food called Forthglade which we are planning to introduce next week.

For the time being, Luna is on cooked chicken and rice and will be getting a Vitamin B12 injection every week for the next 6 weeks as well as an ultrasound scan on Monday to ensure there is nothing else going on in her abdomen. She is also going to be on an extended period of antibiotics for several weeks to help ease her tummy upsets with the vet gradually reducing the dosage each week.

The thing is, I love feeding raw and truly believe it is the best diet for my dog in terms of health benefits.

Does anyone else have any experience of IBD and feeding a raw diet to their dogs? It's something I would love to continue doing but I'm worried about it being too rich for Luna. Any thoughts?

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

IBD can occur in a dog if any age, it is just more common in middle aged or senior dogs. The cause of IBD is unknown might relate to sensitivity to protein, amongst other things. At the moment it is clear that Luna's current diet isn't suiting her - it is irrelevant whether it is raw or dry kibble. If your vet is recommending Hill's why are you disregarding the advice? Forthglade may be a 'better' food as rated on allaboutdogfood.co.uk but that doesn't make it the best food for Luna. Having gone through a very nasty bout of colitis/enteritis with my girl recently there is no way I would be ignoring the advice I've paid for without at least trying it out and seeing if it helps.

Stacia and Beanwood like this.
  3. Lil' Alex

The reason why I am not keen to feed Hills is because she has had it in the past and it made her symptoms a lot worse. The first 2 major ingredients of the I/D food are ground maize and ground rice. It also has turkey meal in it and Luna is intolerant to turkey - even a small teaspoon of cooked turkey upsets her so we cannot feed it at all in any form - cooked or raw. My vet knows this and recommended it based on "scientific backing" from the company rather than on the ingredients and what she knows my dog can and cannot tolerate. This to me says that my vet is not considering my dog's known dietary intolerance and rather wants me to purchase a food which they as a practice sell. Our previous vet (at the same practice) even said that Hills was not good for Luna and he too said raw was a better option for her.

I have followed all of the advice of my vet (considering Luna is my first dog, I follow all advice given) including that any food I feed must be hypoallergenic (grains, especially maize are known to cause allergies in dogs); but I will not feed Hills Prescription Diet or Science Plan based on the ingredients in the food and the fact we have fed it before and it was no good for her. Forthglade cold pressed is a single protein food and has a lot of ingredients which we know Luna can tolerate. It's not simply that it is a "better food" based on Allaboutdogfood.co.uk rating but I have looked at the protein and fat levels as well as on the quality of the ingredients and found it to be a good place to start.

My main question is, is it possible to feed a raw diet (which yes, is my preferred method of feeding) to a dog who has IBD even if it means coming off of it for a while and reintroducing it at a later date? I am happy to feed a dry kibble if it comes down to it but only one which is clear in it's labelling and uses good quality ingredients.

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

My eldest Lab Lucan has IBD, diagnosed by biopsy 3 years ago now. He is kept stable on a diet of Royal Canin Hypoallergenic DR21 in which all protein is hydrolized . In fact it doesn't contain any meat at all, the protein coming from soya.
    I wouldn't normally touch this food or anything similar with a barge pole, the ingredients are crap, BUT, it keeps Lucan well and out of the vets, along with his daily Zantac tablets. Yes he will get the odd flare up but that is usually due to him snaffling something he shouldn't.

IBD is an awful unpredictable disease that affects all dogs differently, it's not to be taken lightly, it can be very mild right through to taking a dog's life. There is no cure. The best you can hope for is to keep your dog stable and if that means feeding a food that you normally wouldn't entertain then so be it.

My advice, for what it's worth, I'm not an expert....but when you find a diet that agrees with your dog, stick with it and don't change a thing however tempting it is...Every flare up results in a very sick dog and can cost hundreds.

I'm sure Hill's do a hydrolized diet along with Royal Canin and Pro Plan, perhaps your vet was recommending that rather than their ordinary hypoallergenic dry food?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Lil' Alex, Stacia and Jojo83 like this.
  5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

It may be possible to reintroduce raw in the future but as @mandyb says, from her own experience, it will be very unlikely that you will be able to change diet once you find a diet that works. The usual route is hydrolyzed protein in a kibble which is more digestible. At the end if the day it is what suits Luna and keeps her with minimal flare ups which is important - not the brand or quality (or perceived lack of quality) of a product.

Lil' Alex likes this.
  6. Peartree

Peartree Registered Users

Hi I’m sorry to hear that you are having such problems. I have a dog which was diagnosed with IBD earlier this year and he is raw fed. I was lucky in that my Vet is very supportive of raw and in fact feeds her dogs on raw. I have had extended problems before with my dog having to go on iv support but this time the symptoms where abated with antibiotics, probiotics and a complete change of protein.

I now feed a high quality kibble with very few additives such as Barking Heads, Seven Pet, Aatu and Fishmongers finest. The cooked food I use is packages of fishmongers finest, forthglade and a German chub called meat love. My dog seems to manage all of these.

I have been able to put my dog gradually back on to the raw natural instinct that he was on before but I now use a salmon/chicken mixture and feed one meal of cooked fish per day. He looks super and has gained weight and his diarrhoea is completely gone.

I hope this helps you. I realise that ibd seems to manifest itself in very different ways and this might not suit your dog but like you I was very set against feeding food that was so unnatural.

Lil' Alex likes this.
  7. Lil' Alex

Thank you for all of your replies and advice. I'm sorry to hear about how badly IBD has affected your dogs however its great and very reassuring to hear that they are doing well on their new diets! We are lucky at the moment in that Luna's condition is fairly minor though I know it can get worse and then better etc.

I have nothing against dry food and have always maintained that I would go back to it if it ever proved necessary. One of the reasons for making the switch to raw in the first place was because the dry kibble brands we tried either caused Luna to get diarrhoea (which we now know were due to dietary intolerances) or because she lost interest in them. This is the main factor why sticking to as natural a diet, be it raw or cooked is so preferable.

Jojo83 as you said Luna's diet at the moment clearly isn't working for her - it was initially but not anymore.

The basic research I have done seems to suggest that a more natural approach such as raw feeding or home cooked meals are a great way to manage the disease. As Luna is already raw fed, it is difficult to know how to move forward and approach her diet in the long term, especially as our vet, who has helped Luna and provided some good advice, is so against raw feeding. Trial and error is going to be key.