1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Raw feeding and ocd lesion

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Keri, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Keri

Keri Registered Users

Hi, was speaking with my regular vet today, an referral orthopedic vet too. He said it’s very irresponsible to feed a raw diet to a growing large breed dog because he believes it causes OCD lesions, just too much protein, too much meat.
    He said much better to feed a food designed for a large breed puppy like Royal canin, hills, eucanuba....
    My nearly 6 month old was in for an elbow X-ray. He said he couldn’t find anything wrong so it could be soft tissue damage but also OCD doesn’t always show up at that young age.
    Now we are on 6 weeks resting, if she’s still limping after this time, he will have to investigate further.
    Of course I’ll follow his instructions re resting and meds but my confidence has been knocked re the raw feeding. I’ll well experienced in raw feeding, done it for over 15 years with giant breed dogs but the vet said new research is coming up every year.
    Has anyone come across this opinion from their vets and did they heed it?
    I’m loathe to feed kibble.
    I’ve also just done some research and what I gather is that causes are unknown, could even be genetic or hard impacts, too much calcium (no mention of too much protein)

2. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

Seems a bit strange as what did dogs do before dried dog food was invented?.

Our 5 1/2 month old is on raw (same as her brothers and sisters and Mother). All doing well.

I wonder how much advice is motivated by profit, vets don't sell raw.

We use Naturaw now and no issues.