Raw Feeding Articles and Information

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by pippa@labforumHQ, May 26, 2013.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I have decided to add this board as a place to refer people that ask me about raw feeding. I will transfer some of the raw feeding posts to here, so that others can find them.

Here are some resources for raw feeders, or those considering making the switch.

Sig likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Resources for raw feeding

Very useful Pippa, thank you.

Any advice as to what to do when your dog suddenly decides she doesn't like raw food and only wants kibble???? I have a brand new freezer, stocked full of venison ribs and the like, and a dog who turns her nose up at it. :(

3. Sig

Sig Registered Users

New to raw feeding three black Labs. They love it. They look great. No more kibble burps, but...
    I'm not confident I'm doing it right!
    A US-based raw food seller is constantly saying dogs my size should eat 28oz of food a day! What? Mineeat about 16oz a day, once a day.
    I see references to "calories per day" based on weight, condition and activity level. Ok, I get that. But then why do raw dog food sellers discuss food in volume per day?
    I'm concerned that I know my dogs' presumed calories needed, but I'm at a loss to know what the caloric content of my raw meals amounts to.
    One vet said, "Just watch their condition. If you see ribs, feed more; if they look fat, cut it back."

4. J.D

J.D Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree with the vet’s advice. I feed raw complete meals that have ingredients other than meat. Toby gets 1/2 a 1,4 kg chub per day which is about 25 oz. He was getting slightly more based on the recommended amount but was gaining weight. His weight is now constant based on this amount at 30kg
    Some of the raw meats contain more fat than others but if you are feeding a variety then they will even out and I don’t worry about the calories. He gets dried sprats as treats and a marrow bone once a week for his teeth.