1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Raw food ideas for 10 week old lab

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Rachcake1, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Rachcake1

Rachcake1 Registered Users

Henry is 10 weeks old tomorrow, when I picked him up from the breeder she gave us 2 weeks supply of frozen raw meet for him. (Chicken and bones I believe minced) he has eaten all of these now. I have been giving him chicken wings, eggs, sprats, heart and a small amount of liver. (All a few days apart to check has no ill affect).
    I know he needs a varied diet and I have tried to research as much as possible and found it difficult to find specific raw feeding info for Puppies.
    I have in your freezer duck and Turkey necks, chicken wings/legs/thighs, tripe, lambs hearts/liver, sprats and some frozen puppy food from pets at home. Question is I am unsure if he is old enough for these? He has no trouble with the chicken wings and no sprats. No problems with his tummy. I feed him 4 small meals every 4 hours. Is there any other food he can have? Is there anything he should not have?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Can you contact your breeder? I fed raw but not to a puppy. There are raw feeding facebook groups that might help you. In our case our Vet strongly encourages raw so I would be able to ask her too. What about your Vet?

3. Rachcake1

Hiya,
    I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow for his injections, I will ask her but did not want to come across clueless and also heard that not all vets are very supportive of the idea. I will look up any Facebook groups also. Thanks for the advice! :)

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

For the meat part, I had good luck with what you're already feeding, chicken necks and wings. Great for small dogs or puppies. For some variety, I also really like sardines (I used canned because it was easier). Some people swear by fresh tripe, but I couldn't deal with the smell. How do you feel about veggies and fruits? You can puree them if you want to keep everything raw, or cook them (they need to be broken down somehow before feeding). Some favourites of my dogs were broccoli, cauliflower, okra, zucchini, apples and bananas.

It's great to hear of someone feeding raw for a pup! :)

5. Rachcake1

I have been giving him our leftover cooked veggies and he loves them, as well as a raw carrot to nibble on in between meals.... he loves chunks of frozen banana but not so keen on fresh for some reason, I have bought some frozen tripe chunks from pets at part bit was not sure how old he should be before giving it to him. The guy in the shop was not much help!!
    I guess I want to make sure he has all he needs nutrient wise, but am not 100% sure of the do's and don'ts ..... a little overwhelming.
    Thank you so much for your advice :) also we normally have lots of left over roast meat from a Sunday dinner, is he allowed those as well as his raw meat??

6. Emily_BabbelHund

I really can't say if there are things a young puppy should be eating or not when on BARF/raw. There wasn't a lot of info out there on BARF when my dogs were puppies (I'm old ;) ) so I just tried out stuff that seemed healthy to me. They all did great with a quite varied diet from puppy onwards, but I'd hate to tell you "sure, go for it!" then have Henry get a tummy ache. I like @Snowshoe 's advice to join a FB group or other raw food forum as there would be people with more up-to-date experience than my own.

As far the as the roast meat goes, as long as it's not got extra sauces or salt added, I don't see why not. Because of special circumstances, I had to switch from feeding my dog raw to feeding cooked and he did really well on a cooked diet. I didn't feed beef or pork (nothing to do with suitability - just a personal thing) but he did just fine on chicken, turkey and fish with veggies and fruits. And the occasional pizza crust and bottom of the ice cream carton. Oh...maybe I shouldn't admit that. :rolleyes:

DebzC likes this.
  7. Rachcake1

Thank you Emily.
    We have been to see the Vet for his injections today who said he looked perfect, his advice was much the same as your own. He said feed anything that is suitable for his size and go by how Henry is getting on.
    He has doubled his weight in the past 3 weeks and now weighs 9kg so the raw food diet must suit him well.
    I think I will just carrying on as I am and add new foods every few days and see how he gets on.
    As for pizza crusts and ice cream I bet he would love that if he could get it, he stares and not everyone when they are eating as if he is starving!

Naya and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

Glad to hear he's doing so well and you have a vet who supports you feeding him fresh food. What a lovely little cuddle chunk he must be! :)

Rachcake1 likes this.
  9. berry farm girl

berry farm girl Registered Users

We do not feed any food frozen, everything rhawed. We feed a 16 to 18 oz turkey neck to our adult lab every morning. He LOVES this! Puppies get a 5 or 6oz chicken neck or two (depending on puppy weight/age). In the evening we also give our dogs and pups a dog probiotic (powder), fish oil capsule, powder multi vitamin supplements for dogs. We put these in with their evening meal of ground meat/vegies in accordance with their size. For our adult dogs this is approx 6 oz meat and same for vegies. Think big hamburger patty size. This is usually chicken or turkey but can also be beef since we raise our own meat and it is more affordable. Vegie mash is mostly combo of raw leafy greens, carrots, apple, blueberries, celery because those items are always in the fridge. Can include squah/pumpkin (summer or winter), green beans, bell peppers (small quantities), broccoli, cauliflower. Mostly whatever is a bit past prime in my fridge. We put everything in food processor and blend till fairly sloppy mass. Also sometimes put an egg or tablespoon of raw apple cider Vinegar on top or feed a bit of organ meats. If your dog has stomach upset from a new food or whatecer you can feed a bit of pumpkin to help. We give occasional larger non meaty bone for chewing and fun. They chew on these for days. Our adult dog is so fit and strong, runs 38 miles per hour and it vital. We call him the Arnold Schwartzenager of dogs. Will never go back to kibble. Went raw with this dog when he was just a small pup and our last dog was diagnosed w/ cancer...will never go back. Another new pup is now on the diet and she is loving it too.

Rachcake1 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  10. Rachcake1

Thank you so much for your reply. :)

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I changed Poppy from kibble to raw at 16 weeks. We all loved it, but I did over-feed bones, she should have been getting more meat in relation to the bones. I found that out by having a blood test done after three months, after which we adjusted the feeding accordingly. I also feed a daily mineral powder supplement and a fish oil tablet, or else a dollop of vegetable or coconut oil, whatever I have available.

I really try to vary the types of food as much as possible - chicken carcasses, duck, lamb, beef, pork, venison, fish... I don't buy from the pet store, I buy directly from the butcher or the supermarket. I buy a lot of stuff that is half price because it is coming up to its sell by date, and then freeze it. She gets fresh and cooked vegetables as well.

We now feed her raw for one of her meals, and she gets a half cup of best-quality kibble for her second meal. This is purely for our convenience - though it does have the added benefit that when we travel she can have kibble with no trouble. She LOVES her kibble :) - but then she loves all food :rolleyes:. I do think the raw food is much more satisfying for her, and it definitely keeps her feeling full for longer. Good luck, let us know how you get on!

12. Adrian

Adrian Registered Users

So pleased to have found this forum. Have a 12 week labrador puppy the breeder started on raw food and kibble. Continued with this diet and she is doing really well - now almost 9kg. She did get a pork rib one evening and I was horrified when she swallowed the bone whole, fortunately with no ill effects. What I have now realised from the forum is that I am feeding raw food but no bones. Will definitely get chicken wings and any other meaty bones I can find into her diet. Apart from this I also realise I need to add vegetables.

13. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

This forum is great and I've found it really helpful for lots of things. There are some raw feeding Facebook groups that are extremely helpful and have many thousands of members so a bit busier than this forum if you want quick advice - I'm in Raw Feeding UK and Barf UK but there are bound to be groups local to you if you are somewhere else in the world.

Raw feeding is great and not complicated as long as you follow the basic rules. Bone and offal are essential and should form around 10 percent each of the total diet. The remaining 80 percent should be muscle meat - which for the purposes of raw feeding can include food more normally thought of as offal such as heart and tripe. Veg is optional. Some dogs hate it, mine likes it so I feed scraps like cooked broccoli stalks and outer cabbage leaves most days.

14. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users