raw treats

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by SianMJ, Sep 17, 2019.

1. SianMJ

SianMJ Registered Users

I would like to give my 8 month old pup the occasional raw treat that she will enjoy a good chew on in the garden - what would you suggest I ask for at my butchers please ? many thanks for your help with this - I really don't know what to ask for as I don't eat meat but have no problem with my dog eating any meats at all.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

I assume you raw feed?
    If not, then sometimes a raw treat could upset their tummies (as with any novel foodstuff).
    We get big beef 'knuckes' raw about once a month. We let them have them for an hour or two under supervision. Once all the meat's gone, they tend to start knawing at the bone which can break their teeth.
    I know other raw feeders feed all sorts of bone, including rib bones which are softer, but I have heard of too many cases of dogs having blockages to risk it myself.

3. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Im the opposite, I avoid knuckle bones as bad for teeth. My butcher gives me lamb ribs, necks and spines for free. He eats the whole thing, never had any problem with blockages. Beef ribs are good - he eats the meat off the outside and leaves the bone. I also feed rabbit, chicken, squirrel , duck, pheasant etc etc but these softer bones don't keep him busy for long at all.

4. SianMJ

SianMJ Registered Users

Thank you. No I don’t raw feed, perhaps the odd treat once a week not a good idea then ?

5. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

It was feeding occasional raw treats that got me into raw feeding. I know a few people who give their kibble fed dogs knuckle bones and don't have any problems. I guess it will depend on the dog. My old kibble fed dog used to eat things she found in the woods ( deer carcass, pigeon, she even caught a huge salmon once- or stole it off an otter -I didn't see what happened she just presented me with what she couldn't finish!), the only time she had a problem was when I gave her far too much lamb bone and she vomited it back up.

Edp and AlphaDog like this.
  6. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

"she even caught a huge salmon once- or stole it off an otter"

What a great story.

Edp and Ruth Buckley like this.