rawhide bones

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lee Bell, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Lee Bell

Lee Bell Registered Users

Just out of curiosity how many people give there pups raw hide treats? X

2. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Re: rawhide bones

I started giving Bella the chews at about 13 weeks ( under supervision) they keep her occupied and means less chewing on me... She loves them!!! Especially the shoes from pets at home and the white chews you can buy in bulk ;D

3. A.Causer

A.Causer Registered Users

Regularly since the day we got Amber. Always supervised and removing swallowable chunks. I would have no fingers left if we hadn't. Haha.

4. Lee Bell

Oh good glad not the only one indy has had them from around that age aswell though as he has been off the last few days we have taken them away to make sure they're not upsetting his tum. He does love them though and allows us an hour of tv time x

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm too scared of choking to be honest but I know common sense and supervision plays it's part ;D
    Dex had ( can still have) a sensitive tum so it's an easy choice for me to make not to give him any.....poor lad,what he doesn't know,he doesn't miss!So Bella ,Indy and Amber enjoy yourselves but please don't tell Dexter! That something called rawhide exists x

6. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Lee Bell link=topic=9828.msg142501#msg142501 date=1423425227]
    Oh good glad not the only one indy has had them from around that age aswell though as he has been off the last few days we have taken them away to make sure they're not upsetting his tum. He does love them though and allows us an hour of tv time x
    [/quote]

I also stopped with them when Bella had an upset tum and started to reintroduce a few days ago with no issues... I still don't know what caused her upset tummy as it was on and off for a week but she's ok now, chicken and rice worked a treat ;D

7. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=9828.msg142512#msg142512 date=1423426747]
    I'm too scared of choking to be honest but I know common sense and supervision plays it's part ;D
    Dex had ( can still have) a sensitive tum so it's an easy choice for me to make not to give him any.....poor lad,what he doesn't know,he doesn't miss!So Bella ,Indy and Amber enjoy yourselves but please don't tell Dexter! That something called rawhide exists x
    [/quote]

I'm sure Dexter has something the pups would be jealous of too ;D

8. Lee Bell

How did u do the chicken and rice? Was it just boiled rice and chicken cooked in the pan or did u boil it? May give him that see if it helps his tummy

9. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Lee Bell link=topic=9828.msg142525#msg142525 date=1423429067]
    How did u do the chicken and rice? Was it just boiled rice and chicken cooked in the pan or did u boil it? May give him that see if it helps his tummy
    [/quote]

I had to clarify this myself.... Yes boiled rice in the pan then I cooked a chicken breast in the oven then mixed small chunks of it with the rice and made sure it was all sloppy with the excess water and waited for it to cool . ( that made 3 meals) Think some people boil the chicken but I wanted to make sure it was cooked! :D

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

11. Lee Bell

Thank you very much. Did u feed her 3 meals of the same thing for a few days?

12. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Lee Bell link=topic=9828.msg142534#msg142534 date=1423431736]
    Thank you very much. Did u feed her 3 meals of the same thing for a few days?
    [/quote]

Yes I didn't have any chicken to start with so she had a few bowls of just sloppy boiled rice then I got some chicken she had it for about 2 days or so and loved it!!!!! Looked so cute with rice on her nose - found her bowl upside down in her crate one day, licked every grain up ;D

I gave her no other treats or anything, just a kong of rice ;D

13. Lee Bell

Great thank you. luckily i have some chicken left over from todays sunday lunch so ill just do some rice and leave out everything else. Thank you very much x

14. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Let us know how he is, Bella actually didn't poo for a while on that , must bung them up! ;D

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley can't have rawhide as it upsets her tummy. I buy smart bones - they are more expensive, but so much more gentle on the tummy. You could always make chicken and rice and stuff a kong with it then freeze it for an hour - lasts ages (at 18 months old it still takes Harley a min of half hour to get through) :D

16. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I have started buying vegan hedgehog chews; I wonder if anyone has feedback on them?

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley loves these too and they have no adverse affects on her tummy :) I sometimes put a bit of peanut butter in them and freeze - she goes mad for those ;)

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I do use rawhide chews - I buy rawhide that has no "nasties" left over from the production process (as I read that cheaper brands are full of residual chemicals, but I don't know this is true). I don't buy rawhide that has "bits" that fall off (so I get straight rolls of rawhide rather than complicated shapes), and I feed only a small amount (one small chew a day)under supervision.

He loves it, "chew time" is a highlight of his day. ;D

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9828.msg142545#msg142545 date=1423434446]
    Harley can't have rawhide as it upsets her tummy. I buy smart bones - they are more expensive, but so much more gentle on the tummy.
    [/quote]

This must depend on the dog - nothing upsets Charlie's tum faster than smart bones. Apart from dentastix....

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I'm wary of rawhide due to the choking hazard....Simba seems to gag a bit on them so I do the chopped up bits pressed into shapes which works better. He loves the smart bones and his tum is okay with them. So I guess it's just a matter of keeping an eye on what they are having and finding out what works best! :)