Really good quality crate

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by JAYMZ, Mar 2, 2019.

1. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Could anyone please recommend a really good quality crate for my spaniel?

Monty is 4 now and has a really excellent, sturdy metal crate. Bars are probably 1.5-2mm. The hinges are good and everything is solid. My parents gave it to me and can’t remember where they got it from.

Lucy, the new pup, is now 10 months and we’ve progressed from little puppy crates to her adult size one. They’ve all been budget ones from Pets at Home and have been fine. Up till her adult crate, that is. I wanted a good one similar to Monty’s so bought a “Premium” crate online. It’s absolute garbage, flimsy and falling apart. It is exactly the same as the standard Pets at Home one. It was from doggiesolutions.

So, I’d like to get another, forever crate!

Any recommendations welcome.

James

2. Kaye

Kaye Registered Users

Hi James!

Might I recommend a Kong dog crate? I've found them to be quite excellent! My previous lab mix couldn't get out of it (she tried several times to do so) but she couldn't even bend the wire bars.

A few of my friends even agree they are fantastic crates!

Just my personal thoughts :)

3. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

We haven't picked our puppy up yet but have bought her an adult size crate with divider to grow into. It seems to be really sturdy and easy to set up. Got it off Amazon for £60 and made by Ellie Bow.

4. Athena

Athena Registered Users

Hi James,
    We have Kong crates for our two lab hound mixes - size large I believe. I don't know the wire gauge but they are very sturdy and easy to set up. I like side and front doors which give flexibility for placement in the room. The doors have slide bolt latches but my dogs don't try to escape or fuss in the crate. Both dogs have room to spare inside.

Kong crates are not standard sized so the generic crate mats I purchased are an inch or so shorter in the long dimension. Kong sells their own mats but the generic mats have been fine so far.