Really worried about future weeks

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Dave Bennett, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Registered Users

Good evening all.
    The past few days have been really difficult because my wife has lost her job and I was between jobs.I took the bull by the horns and got a job which will possibly be 60 hours a week.
    My wife will not be sitting around long believe me and when she goes back to work we have an obvious dilemna.
    The worry recently and the obvious problems ahead are making me edgy and as I type I feel nervous and not too great.
    Sorry to involve you all but had to get this one off my chest.

2. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Sorry to hear that :(

You'll make it work!

My OH has changed shift patterns 3 times since we got Stanley. Everytime it's been a worry and every time it's turned out fine :)

3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Not surprising - what a difficult time for you. Hope you can resolve any possible doggy care problems easily.

4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, but I think you'll make it work. You have youngsters around that are grown up or nearly so, don't you? Good luck :)

5. Dave Bennett

Youngest is 14 so still at school and one of the other boys will be in wok soon so there is going to be an issue.We didn't invite our little dog into our home to be left all day long by himself.
    I perhaps need a good night's sleep and think about things in a more positive light which I am sure will happen but right now it's a pain in the proverbial!!!

6. Dave Bennett

That should have said in work soon. Disclaimer I have no intention of making a Chinese meal out of my middle boy Michael!!!

Granca, Karen, BevE and 4 others like this.
  7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That is a worry for you.
    I work excessive hours too, a stressful job, and if not for Lilly and having to motivate myself to go out and have a walk at odd hours I think I would have given up so much more into the abyss of work.
    Dawson will help to keep you grounded.
    I'm sure you have met people out and about walking. Ask around your dog walkers see who might be around for some official or ad hoc doggy day care.
    Try not to panic.

Karen, Emily_BabbelHund and selina27 like this.
  8. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

No, sure you didn't, but life changes, and we all have to adapt. As @drjs@5 says, try not to panic. Whether or not your middle son becomes part of a Chinese meal, I'm sure there are enough of you to share the responsibility, everyone loves him, and especially if you can find a good dog walker.

By the way, I always enjoy reading about him and the love he gets from his family, mostly my li'l one is just with me, and doesn't seem unhappy, but when my son and daughter and their friends are here she is luminous with delight. Dawson seems pretty lucky to me, I'm sure you'll do right by him.

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Daycare and dog walkers are a great way to manage these situations. With a bit of professional assistance your pup will be continue to be happy as Larry :)

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are going through. I hope a good night sleep will help refocus your mind. I'm sure you will make it work somehow as we all know how much you adore Dawson.

11. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm sorry to hear things are so stressful. 60 hours a week stinks, no way around it. Hopefully when you start it will turn out to be something you like and not as many hours as you are thinking.

The fact that you are thinking about how this will affect Dawson when the changes could be difficult for all of you tells me that Dawson will be just fine. The problem is when people get/have a dog and it doesn't even occur to them that 10 hours a day in a crate is a bad thing. That's not you. And we KNOW you are creative, so I have 100% faith you'll get this sorted.

Dogs are a lot more flexible than people give them credit for. My experience is that most of the time when people say, "My dog gets upset with a change in his routine," what they are really talking about is themselves, not their dog. Dogs can deal. :)

SwampDonkey, selina27 and Aitch like this.
  12. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

While is it not ideal, we have several friends that have to leave their dog all day long. One of them uses doggy day care several times a week, and another does not. The dogs seem to get along fine regardless.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So sorry about your job worries, that is really a huge worry. But you and your family sound very upbeat and proactive, and I'm sure you will weather this - and so will Dawson.

14. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I hope it all works out well. Dawson will adjust to different routines, but it's more stressful for the humans.