Recall failure

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Mar 29, 2015.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Went to the field again earlier with Bella and her friend Rosie, Rosie's recall is spot on, even when a Spaniel appeared, but not Bella , off she went to play and wouldn't come back, carried on chasing the owner and her dog, looked at me once when I called but chose to ignore me and carried on following them :mad: second time recently I've had to go over and get her back, so embarrassing :-[ straight on the lead she went ::) I even had great treats that she was responding too just before , but for some reason there was no getting her back.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Recall failure

Bella is still very young , I remember Sam doing exactly the same at around this age and yes, its pants ::) Practice practice and yet more I`ve afraid , you`re aiming to make yourself far more interesting than anything else in the world :) Recall treats must be a very high value , I used to use chopped up cooked sausages , and maybe put Bella back on a long training line for a while . This way , when you gently pull your end of the line and she comes towards you , that's when you employ your recall word , its pointless recalling when she is running the other way, that's setting her up to fail . Masses of high pitched excitable praise when she lands with you , and then the treat . I know its frustrating but stick with it, this happens to all of us, honestly :)

3. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=10382.msg152810#msg152810 date=1427651171]
    Bella is still very young , I remember Sam doing exactly the same at around this age and yes, its pants ::) Practice practice and yet more I`ve afraid , you`re aiming to make yourself far more interesting than anything else in the world :) Recall treats must be a very high value , I used to use chopped up cooked sausages , and maybe put Bella back on a long training line for a while . This way , when you gently pull your end of the line and she comes towards you , that's when you employ your recall word , its pointless recalling when she is running the other way, that's setting her up to fail . Masses of high pitched excitable praise when she lands with you , and then the treat . I know its frustrating but stick with it, this happens to all of us, honestly :)
    [/quote]

Yep it's always high value treats, sausage, bacon, cheese etc ;D I'm wondering about getting a training line for her as we are off to Filey next weekend on the beach and I think if I let her off with loads of dogs about ill struggle but don't want to keep her on lead either.

Yer I know she's still little :) I just don't want her to learn she can do as she pleases as she gets bigger :eek: I can't set up all of the total recall exercises either so maybe a line is the way to go. Sometimes she will come back ( always when it's just us two) but other dogs are too tempting! Thanks.

4. kateincornwall

You`re welcome , a training line isn't a failure, so please don't think that, its a very useful tool in this difficult period of time and will be invaluable on your hols, hope you have a good time :)

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=10382.msg152821#msg152821 date=1427653531]
    You`re welcome , a training line isn't a failure, so please don't think that, its a very useful tool in this difficult period of time and will be invaluable on your hols, hope you have a good time :)
    [/quote]

What length would you recommend?

6. kateincornwall

The one I got was about 30ft . Sounds a bit long but you don't have to have it all played out , handy for a beach though , got mine from Amazon .

7. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

I bought an 85 foot one and it's far, far, too long, I've ended up chopping it up, it's probably about 45 feet now and more than long enough.

Can only sympathise with exactly the same recall problem, I've got no advice as Monty's recall is rubbish around other dogs...

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I got a 10 metre training line thorough Amazon and found it a bit too long for walking but have used it for early dips in the lake. I know use a 5m line, again from Amazon.

9. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=MaccieD link=topic=10382.msg152837#msg152837 date=1427657259]
    I got a 10 metre training line thorough Amazon and found it a bit too long for walking but have used it for early dips in the lake. I know use a 5m line, again from Amazon.
    [/quote]

Pets at home have a 10 metre one that I'll probably get just for some practice in fields , beach etc to continue to generalise her recall a bit more around other dogs, she's still such a baby so it's just too exciting ( albeit annoying and embarrassing for mummy) ;D

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I used a training line (7 metres) for the beach last summer when Molly was nearly a year old, which I left trailing. Just made it more relaxing knowing if she didn't recall I could get hold of her.

However, as a longer term strategy, what really transformed things for us was me playing with Molly when on walks. Being seen as a really fun person has been much more effective than any number of food rewards ( though I do use those too.) Now if I don't instigate a game when we're out, Molly will trot by my side nudging me till I do! Even out yesterday with 8 other dogs from the dog club, halfway round she wanted me to play!

11. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=Joy link=topic=10382.msg152848#msg152848 date=1427658424]
    I used a training line (7 metres) for the beach last summer when Molly was nearly a year old, which I left trailing. Just made it more relaxing knowing if she didn't recall I could get hold of her.

However, as a longer term strategy, what really transformed things for us was me playing with Molly when on walks. Being seen as a really fun person has been much more effective than any number of food rewards ( though I do use those too.) Now if I don't instigate a game when we're out, Molly will trot by my side nudging me till I do! Even out yesterday with 8 other dogs from the dog club, halfway round she wanted me to play!
    [/quote]

Yer I really must get better at that, I've done throwing tennis balls etc when I remember, but need to get a bit more inventive ::)

12. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Well she certainly had fun at the beach especially in the sea, although the training line became a bungee at some stages not the point I know..!!! :-[ she's so fast when she spots other dogs. A couple of times she was so obsessed watching other dogs she didn't respond to me tugging the line for her to come back. Other times great. I must keep practicing :eek: she even ignored chicken tonight to follow another dog, she was off lead and he appeared out of no where. She's great when there's no dogs so do I just using training line when other dogs are around?

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Joy, what are the games you play when walking? I would be really interested.
    Thanks.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=CDM link=topic=10382.msg155389#msg155389 date=1428603170]
    Well she certainly had fun at the beach especially in the sea, although the training line became a bungee at some stages not the point I know..!!! :-[ she's so fast when she spots other dogs. A couple of times she was so obsessed watching other dogs she didn't respond to me tugging the line for her to come back. Other times great. I must keep practicing :eek: she even ignored chicken tonight to follow another dog, she was off lead and he appeared out of no where. She's great when there's no dogs so do I just using training line when other dogs are around?
    [/quote]

You need to train your dog to stay with you when it sees other dogs. I know that sounds like stating the obvious. :) It is really quite difficult to train a dog on a beach, in the park, when there are other dogs around as a first step. Sure, a lead or a long line will stop the dog getting rewarded by getting to the other dog, but that's all it will do. If the line is going tight, the dog knows it's on a line, so will act differently when it's not.

Training a dog not to run to other dogs is the same as training anything else. Get the dog to stay by you. Then slowly, in a controlled way, introduce other dogs.

It's just the same principle as for anything else - proofing. Slowly and carefully using set ups.

15. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10382.msg155399#msg155399 date=1428605996]
    [quote author=CDM link=topic=10382.msg155389#msg155389 date=1428603170]
    [/quote]

You need to train your dog to stay with you when it sees other dogs. I know that sounds like stating the obvious. :) It is really quite difficult to train a dog on a beach, in the park, when there are other dogs around as a first step. Sure, a lead or a long line will stop the dog getting rewarded by getting to the other dog, but that's all it will do. If the line is going tight, the dog knows it's on a line, so will act differently when it's not.

Training a dog not to run to other dogs is the same as training anything else. Get the dog to stay by you. Then slowly, in a controlled way, introduce other dogs.

It's just the same principle as for anything else - proofing. Slowly and carefully using set ups.
    [/quote]

I know, it's just so hard to set these things up ::)

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It is, indeed. My dog was the world's worst run-off-to-other-dogs dog. Really. He was a nightmare.

I found a trainer with 14 dogs and negotiated with her to have her use the dogs in my 121 lessons. I also did a deal with my dog walker and she helped with quiet dogs and set ups too.

I got far enough with those ways to join a group class, and take part in exercises working in pairs with just one other dog off lead. Then two...and so on.

If you can't get that kind of help, you have to do your best to use distance outside, but it's very tricky and so use a line to prevent failures (but not in a stomp on the line stop the dog in its tracks way, that's quite punishing). Of course you can keep trying just on walks but it'll take ages.

17. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yvonne, replying to your question about games, we do:

Retrieving dummies(which I taught using Pippa's clicker instructions). This includes fetching it after I've thrown it and waiting to be told to go, and walking to heel (originally on lead, now off lead) while I quietly drop a dummy, then after about 30 yards sending her back for it.

Tug games - I have a range of home made toys, involving a piece of cord with a sock at one end and a charity shop soft toy at the other. I've developed rules for this game and they seem to make it even more exciting for Molly as she sits twitching eagerly waiting for the key word. ('Are you ready?'means give me the toy and sit, 'play' means you can launch yourself at the toy- got to watch fingers at this point - and we have a mad tug which I always let her win!)

Catch - I use a squeaky ball, Molly sits and I toss her the ball which she catches and brings to me.

Retrieving plastic bottles with pebbles. Molly adores these and the dummy retrieving rules don't apply - she's allowed to chase them, toss them, chew them and not return them unless she wants to. ( she mostly does because she wants another go). I also get her excited before I throw one by shaking it and moving it jerkily in front of her.

I mix all these activities up with obedience stuff like stays and downs and it does seem to hold her interest.

18. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

A game I really, really like, and Maisie quite likes, is "hide and seek!" I haven't quite figured out how to get HER to hide (been thinking about it, but not sure… I was thinking in the house I could teach her a designated spot to go to on "hide" to show off for friends, but a real hide, not sure). But she is very good at seeking! And bonus - you get to work on your pup's "wait" skill.

I get her in a spot where her vision is limited, put her in a sit-wait (or down-wait, whichever you like better) and then go "hide" somewhere. In the house it's anywhere out of her sight… bathroom, bed, under a table… it's pretty open concept in my apartment so a bit difficult, but kind of fun. Then I yell "okay, find me!" and she comes running to find me. In the park I put her behind a tree and go hide behind trees, etc. I find it HILARIOUS when she comes running out on a second hide, and she checks my previous hiding spot and is like "WHAT???? WHERE???? and then she finds me and runs over to me really excited and happy. She gets a treat for coming to me. It's *really* fun for me too, so I like playing it.

We can only do a few rounds so far before she starts CHEATING (not staying in her wait) so I've been mixing it up with a few waits of different durations, shorter, so it's not always as hard, but it's my favourite game :).

19. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=maisiesmomma link=topic=10382.msg155459#msg155459 date=1428633933]
    A game I really, really like, and Maisie quite likes, is "hide and seek!" I haven't quite figured out how to get HER to hide (been thinking about it, but not sure… I was thinking in the house I could teach her a designated spot to go to on "hide" to show off for friends, but a real hide, not sure). But she is very good at seeking! And bonus - you get to work on your pup's "wait" skill.

I get her in a spot where her vision is limited, put her in a sit-wait (or down-wait, whichever you like better) and then go "hide" somewhere. In the house it's anywhere out of her sight… bathroom, bed, under a table… it's pretty open concept in my apartment so a bit difficult, but kind of fun. Then I yell "okay, find me!" and she comes running to find me. In the park I put her behind a tree and go hide behind trees, etc. I find it HILARIOUS when she comes running out on a second hide, and she checks my previous hiding spot and is like "WHAT???? WHERE???? and then she finds me and runs over to me really excited and happy. She gets a treat for coming to me. It's *really* fun for me too, so I like playing it.

We can only do a few rounds so far before she starts CHEATING (not staying in her wait) so I've been mixing it up with a few waits of different durations, shorter, so it's not always as hard, but it's my favourite game :).
    [/quote]

Juno loves hide and seek, we play in the garden, in the house and out on walks - one of the things we're missing at the moment on the rest regime! My last dog, an Italian Spinone, also loved hide and seek and would charge all over the house to find my husband who would hide in wardrobes, the bath, you name it he hid behind it, in it, under it. Flynn would extend the game at times by running off from the hiding spot and seek all over the house before bounding back to the hiding spot.

20. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thank you, Joy. Great games! Now that we have got rid of our snow, will be taking longer walks with Cooper and I'm sure he gets bored just "walking" so these will come in very handy. I want him to have fun and to think I'm fun, too.