Recommendations please for chews that don't stain carpets

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by smiledotcom, Feb 2, 2019.

1. smiledotcom

smiledotcom Registered Users

I don't really want to give my dogs (GR and Lab) rawhide chews and although my dogs love the raw marrow bones that I get from the butcher I don't want the marrow staining my brand new carpets.

Can anyone recommend a type of dog chew that will keep my dogs happily entertained chewing for a while without staining my carpets.

Of course I could just keep the dogs in an area without carpets (the kitchen) but I don't want to do that if it's not necessary. I like having them around me.

Thanks,

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

My dogs love any type of Nylabone. They also really enjoy Petstages Dogwood Sticks.

3. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

I don't know where in the world you are but here in Europe Zooplus do a massive range of dehydrated natural chews online. Tripe sticks, rabbit ears and pizzles are very popular in this house. I dehydrate deer hide too but this doesn't last long at all. Whimzees are good when we have guests as odourless and better for the squeamish as vegetarian.

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

+1 for Nylabones. We also use sterile bones and rawhide rolls or knots. Both of our labs think rawhide is food and eat them fairly quickly. It doesn't seem to cause any problems for them, and they really like rawhide.

5. Ruth Buckley

Mine lost interest in his nylabone - they are so hard and plasticky. Sure they can't be good for teeth either.

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

They aren't as hard as sterile bones or especially sheds. None of our Labs have ever had dental problems from nylabones. I think they help keep the teeth clean, because they do sort of fray. When they are newer, some of them smell like real bones or sheds (to a dog). Rawhides don't seem to stain carpets, but they do leave little bits that have to be dampened to come out of our carpets some times.

7. Ruth Buckley

Hmm maybe nylabones in the UK are different. The one Loki has in his mouth in my profile pic was like hard shiny plastic. He lost interest once the smell wore off and I found it in the field a few weeks ago looking pristine after a year in the mud.