Refusing main food

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Cherry, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

Molly is 9 months now, she is fed a prepared raw diet along with chicken wings and eggs. She has always loved her food but the last couple of mornings she has refused the prepared food. Yesterday ate the chicken wing and at lunchtime an egg. At tea she reluctantly ate the majority of her prepared food. This morning again only the chicken wing. I have a supply of tinned food which I keep for when I've forgotten to defrost her usual food and I'm wondering if she wants this? That's certainly how my cats behave but I didn't expect it from a dog! (first time dog owner). Should I keep offering it? maybe switch to the adult version to give her more variety? i have tried grated cheese on it but she just licks it off!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Is there any chance it's a bad batch, or it's gone bad? Maybe try buying a new tray and seeing if she will take that - if so, there's probably something wrong with the batch you have.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I agree with @snowbunny but it may be that she is full up and you need to perhaps reduce her food, or she may be feeling off colour?

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Is she OK otherwise?
    Pooping peeing and plenty of energy?
    If she's not herself then maybe a trip to the vet would be in order, but agree with the others that an old/off batch of food can sometimes be an issue - discussed that on here before.

5. MF

MF Registered Users

I started Snowie off on raw food by feeding him the prepared meals (meat minced up with ground up bone and other additives such as apple cider vinegar, kelp, veg, fruit -- I forget all the ingredients but apparently it was guided by a dog nutritionist). At the time he wolfed it down.

At some point I switched to whole meaty bones and pieces of meat. But then on one occasion I ran out of meat and bones and bought the prepared food, but he refused to eat it. You'd think a Labrador would eat anything. But no, he left it there. When I replaced it with whole meat, he devoured that. I tried the prepared meal another time and, again no, he would not eat it so I gave all the prepared meals away. I must confess it didn't enter my mind then that it might be off (I don't recall it smelling bad). I just thought he didn't like the other stuff in it (veg, fruit, etc). It certainly made it a lot cheaper for me because the whole pieces of meat and meaty bones are cheaper than the prepared meals. And I also prefer knowing exactly what he's eating (you can't tell what is what in the minced up prepared meals). And he loves chewing on a bone, gives him great satisfaction, and I believe they have a cleaning effect on the teeth. So all in all I'm happier he turned his nose up at the prepared meals. (It is rather odd, though, because he just loves to scavenge all the rubbish on the pavements!)

Incidentally, the first time I fed whole liver to Snowie, he refused to eat it. About a year later I tried again and he LOVED it. It's one of his favourite foods now (together with stinky green tripe!). Oh, the tripe, too: he refused to eat whole tripe, it had to be minced up. Then one day my supplier delivered whole tripe and Snowie devoured it. The older he gets the less fussy he appears to be.

If your puppy refuses to eat anything at all, I would have her checked out by the vet; she might be ill.

6. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

Hi thanks for your replies. Molly is fine in every other way and not actually asking for food. The food doesn't smell any more disgusting than usual! She eventually ate some tea with my daughter and I sitting with her! @MF I'd love to prepare my own food but Reading is very short on real shops like butchers!