Reoccurring cystitis

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lfm, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

Mabel is now 10w1d, we got her at 7w5d and two days after she came home she was showing the classic symptoms of cystitis, was diagnosed as having such by the vet and prescribed with a five day course of antibiotics, which seemed to resolve the problem. Yesterday however, having been symptom free for around a week, she seemed to be showing the same symptoms so we took her back to the vet who rediagnosed her, and she was given double the length in course and double the amount of medication. I am slightly concerned that there is a bigger issue, however I'm aware that it could possibly be just that it didn't totally clear up the first time. Opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@Lfm So sorry poor little Mabel has cystitis that's miserable :( I haven't had any experience of this, sorry I can't help but hopefully someone will come along to help you but I would do as my vet prescribed. What tests did he run? I really hope she picks up xx

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

So very sorry, poor little love . Its quite possible that it didn't completely clear the first time , but your Vet is the person to advise on this really . Just sending get well wishes for little Mabel xx

4. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

How distressing for you and your pup @Lfm.
    I can offer sympathy rather than wise or useful advice.
    I hope the second lot of antibiotics do the trick.

5. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Is it possible to give her cranberries? I know it will keep her bladder sourish! So that bacterias don't want to live there....

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor thing.
    I know in humans, only about 60-70% of urine infections will clear after any single antibiotic. Changing the antibiotic would be the choice in human medicine.

Recurrent uti's can sometimes be linked with an inverted vulva I believe, but I wouldn't go worrying about that right now, two infections doesn't make it a major problem. Go with what your vet recommends.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

If cranberries work at all for this it's thought to be because they make it more difficult for bacteria to stick to the bladder wall. Cranberries don't change the pH of urine or make a bladder 'sour'. Urine is supposed to be pH neutral :)

Anne123 likes this.
  8. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

Oddly enough, they haven't actually done any tests, they just took me at my word from what I'd seen. They've asked for a urine sample at the end of the course of antibiotics to ensure its cleared up, I'm not quite sure that's sufficient, but I'm no expert so I'm just going by what they say

9. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

I asked the vet about giving her cranberries, but she said that since no tests had been done on her urine so we don't know whether it's acid or alkaline, and cranberries would be of no use if her urine was acidic. But from what I'd heard about the cranberries as a remedy is very similar to what you say about it being difficult for the bacteria to stick. I don't suppose it will do her any harm to give it a go, thank you for your help!!

10. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

I that had crossed my mind, but if it were an internal problem I'm assuming it wouldn't have improved with antibiotics. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Thank you!!

11. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

Thank you! It seems to have improved so hopefully the rest of the course will totally eradicate the infection.

12. Lfm

Lfm Registered Users

Thank you!