Rescue volunteer log

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by snowbunny, Sep 3, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Oh, I think he's shorter than that. He's below my knee and that's 50cm with shoes on :rolleyes:

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Here's a little video I took of him on the walk. To start off with when we left the shelter, he was completely bonkers and pulled like a train, so I did some calming activities to lower his arousal. He's not interested at all in food or toys when outside, which isn't surprising in the slightest considering how rarely he gets to leave his kennel. Because there are literally no basic behaviours, I can't even use the environment as a reward and, to be honest, I didn't want this walk to be nothing but training. He needs the opportunity to "be a dog", as we all like to say. To enjoy the smells and get the release of just bimbling around. I did need him to not pull, though, so decided to just use the "stop and start" method, which you all know isn't my favourite as I'd rather find ways to proactively reinforce his good behaviour than reacting to the bad, but needs must when you have limited time and opportunity. He responded pretty well to it, with me using a lot of verbal praise and smiling when he was keeping the lead loose. We were able to go for a nice walk, in any event, and that was the whole point of the visit.

Karen and Xena Dog Princess like this.