Rescue volunteer log

Discussion in 'Labrador Rescue' started by snowbunny, Sep 3, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Of course, no visit is complete without seeing my lovely old ladies. Of course, Conchita has been fairly brave from the get-go, but the other two, Negreta and no-name are coming on in leaps and bounds.

DSC_9179.JPG DSC_9171.JPG DSC_9173.JPG

Negreta has the most stunning colour eyes.
    DSC_9188.JPG
    Negreta was terrified of Johnny for a long time. Now look!

DSC_9192.JPG

Ah, the lovely Conchita!
    DSC_9176.JPG

A proper mothers' meeting :)
    DSC_9197.JPG

2. snowbunny

Finally, we have Nata and Nano. It's hard to take photos of Nata, because she rarely has more than two feet on the floor. She is Tito in female form, and just gorgeous!

DSC_9209.JPG

DSC_9219.JPG

Nano, the Podenco, is really skinny at the moment. The two of them have been in a different area for a while and maybe he has been stressed because of it. With no money for vet trips we would make in a heartbeat, we have to hope that, now he's back in GenPop, he will perk up.
    The good news is that he's becoming so much braver. He came up to both J and me at different points, took food readily from our hands, and even followed me for a few paces when I walked away. He's aggressive to many of the other dogs but adores Nata, and she's really good for him.

DSC_9222.JPG DSC_9235.JPG DSC_9228.JPG

Stacia, Sven, drjs@5 and 5 others like this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Beautiful photo's Fiona :) You and J are doing a truly amazing thing. Absolutely love reading your updates and seeing these beautiful dogs :heart: xxx

SilverFalcon likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh goodness, such lovely dogs, all of them. Poor Nano, I hope he is not sick - although two of the dogs my sister is fostering at present were TERRIBLY skinny when she got them and are fine now. You are doing such great work with them, lovely to see how the dogs are slowly gaining confidence with you. Have the puppies gone? What happened with the mama dog?

5. snowbunny

He's not acting sick, and was quite happy to take food from us. Dogs are masters at hiding it, of course. I'll keep as close an eye on him as I can.

No, they are still here! Shipping out at the beginning of November. They are huge now! I ran out of time today but I'll have some puppy fun (and photos) when I visit at the weekend :)

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

hey are going to miss you when you go back to Andorra.

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

Pausing the Labratour for a stop in SF California
    Wonderful photos and love hearing about all the dogs. :heart:

8. snowbunny

We had a special outing yesterday. J and I kidnapped Conchita and took her out of the shelter for a couple of hours. What with her leg, it's been years since she's been anywhere outside the rescue centre. She was nervous at first, but once she was in the car, she perked up and loved watching the world go by, even though she's probably never been in one.

We took her to the local dog park, which is fully enclosed, so she can be let off the lead. There were no other dogs there, which was probably a good thing for her first time. She's great with other dogs (although she has been attacked a few times by one of the other shelter dogs when they have accidentally got together) but with it being such a new experience, a quiet outing was probably best. She followed us round and settled down to sniff at the environment, which was lovely.

I forgot my camera, so had to make do with my phone, which is a bit rubbish, but we still took a few little snaps.

You can see how awkwardly she holds her ouchy leg in this one, but what a happy face!

IMG_2902.jpg

Pretending to do the weave poles :)

IMG_5853.jpg

And this one is an awful picture, but made me laugh! So happy in the car!

IMG_2924.jpg

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Might be rubbish photos ( they aren't actually ! ) but she is far from a rubbish dog, she is adorable , thanks for helping her and giving her a nice time , they don't have much do they ? x

snowbunny and SwampDonkey like this.
  10. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

She looks so pleased to be out having fun :) Gorgeous.

snowbunny likes this.
  11. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

What an absolutely gorgeous lady, out having a blast!! Love the photo of her happy face in the car.

snowbunny likes this.
  12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

You are her guardian Angel I think x

snowbunny likes this.
  13. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just catching up on this thread - starting my Friday with wet eyes.

snowbunny likes this.
  14. Sven

Sven Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looks like someone had a very good and fun time out. Sure it made her day.

snowbunny likes this.
  15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Poor little darling, I wonder what her history is, you must be very tempted to adopt her. How lovely that you took her out, can you now magic her to me.

drjs@5 and snowbunny like this.
  16. snowbunny

We have very little history. I know she was adopted many years ago, but she climbed over a 6-foot fence and so was returned to the shelter. That's so sad, but I also love that she was a spunky girl in her prime! :D

I would love to adopt her. If I thought W&S would accept her, I'd take her in an instant. I am absolutely committed to finding her the best forever home :inlove:

17. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

Aww so wonderful that Conchita had a day out by herself! She looks so happy!

snowbunny likes this.
  18. snowbunny

She was so happy! I look at these photos and they make my heart ache. She should be happy all the time! I'm seeing her again tomorrow, yay :inlove:

19. snowbunny

Well, I have been a busy bee in the background. Some of you will already have seen some of the story through the powers of social media, and things have been changing daily. I’ve been itching to tell you all, but it’s not been the right time until now.

I have been plotting for a while to get Conchita a home. Knowing that there was no way that anyone would adopt her with it being so painfully clear she needs surgery, I hatched a plan:
    1. Fundraise for the cost of the surgery
    2. Get her treatment organised
    3. Put her in foster while she recuperates
    4. Hammer social media with her picture to find her a home
    I put that plan to the president of the shelter and was told that, whilst she agreed that Conchita needed a home, the owner would never agree to her being in foster. Well, she can’t possibly recover from surgery in the kennel, so we were left feeling deflated and wondering what could be done. We have been told a few bad stories about how the rescue was run in the past, and how they have treated rescue dogs are commodities, rather than as animals that need to find a home. As much as the president is new, the stories persist and I was really worried that, if I pushed it, there would be no happy ending.

Still I kept plotting for some way to get this girl out. I knew I needed to find out the extent of the damage to her leg, so last Wednesday, before our trip to the dog park, I sneakily took her to the vet for an X-ray. Poor little lady, her elbow is a complete mess. She is obviously in constant pain and the vet believes that amputation is the only course of action. There is also a rather worrying lump on the bone, so we made another appointment for a biopsy.

We’re not rolling in money, so I put together a GoFundMe campaign, which some of you have seen, with a €1,500 target. I needed to keep it a bit quiet as I didn’t want the shelter to find out we were raising money for a dog we didn’t own, but I also needed to know we had the cost of surgery covered before we tried to find her somewhere to stay. Well, the response to the campaign was just overwhelming, and we very nearly hit our target within the space of a day. I was completely bowled over by the way people responded to her story. Friends, family and complete strangers, all putting their hands in their pockets to help a dog they've never met, and likely never will.

Now, because this was all being done on the sly without the knowledge of the shelter owner, we were a bit concerned about how to ensure nil-by-mouth over a shelter dog for the night before her biopsy. We’ve said all along that we can’t foster or adopt her because of Willow and Shadow (Luna would be over the moon!), but J and I discussed it and agreed that we certainly could have her very short-term, by popping her in our unfurnished spare room which is off our living room, and using a baby gate to keep the others away from her. It’s not an ideal solution, but it would be a huge improvement on a rescue shelter, and would give us the control we need for the biopsy. But, as the shelter wouldn't agree to us fostering, we knew we would have to legally adopt her. But, would they let us? Again, the stories reared their ugly heads, even within minutes of talking to the president, and we were almost sure we would come up against objections. I was already starting to feel aggrieved by it before we asked. Ask we did. The response? The president burst into tears, gave us both a massive hug and, because we were at a PR event in the village at the time, shouted out over the loudhailer, "Conchita is adopted!!"

That brings us to today. Well, who knew it, we now have her home :)

So, here we are. We are, for now, a four-dog household. Even before bringing her home, I was starting to panic a bit; what if we couldn’t find her a place to go, and we were left having to cope alone? I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I was pretty sure that W&S wouldn't welcome her with open arms. There is no way she can come to Andorra with us at the start of the ski season. But, we were given a few different potential solutions, so I could relax a little bit. Then, I received the most fabulous message from my sister: “Found Earholes a home! Mum wants her! xxx”

My word. Well, you can imagine. The incredible snotmonster hit with full force.

We still have a bit of a journey before this story comes to an end, but her Happy Ever After is almost tangible.

YAY, CONCHITA!!! :inlove:

Coming out of the kennel for the last time - with a beautiful smile for J :)
    DSC_9627.JPG

"Hullo, aunty Fi!"
    DSC_9634.JPG

Giving me her best smile :)

DSC_9641.JPG

All dressed up and ready to go.

DSC_9655.JPG

Donde vamos?

DSC_9666.JPG

Sitting down for a cuddle after a little mooch around her new home.

DSC_9681.JPG
    Cuddling is a very serious business!

DSC_9683.JPG
    Basic lodgings for now (our house was a wreck this time last year, and until yesterday, this room was filled with tools and building materials). For the next few weeks, it will do as a bedroom for the little lady, though, with the first soft bed she's had in years, maybe ever, and non-slip flooring because of her gammy leg :)

DSC_9690.JPG

Sven, QuinnM15, Emily and 6 others like this.
  20. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh I can't tell you how happy I am! You and J are such amazing people!

I'm so so glad Conchita has got her happy ever after!

Those bloody ninjas and their onions though o_O

snowbunny likes this.