Resting after a meal

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Meg13, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Meg13

Meg13 Registered Users

I know dogs shouldn't run around and play just after eating (Haley threw up at daycare this week because she did just that)...we were invited to a BBQ at my brother in laws tomorrow and they have two very playful dogs. We will have to feed Haley her dinner at their house, I just don't know how to get her to rest when she is done eating...she seems to have an endless amount of playful energy when other dogs are around and I can't get her to just lay down for a bit. I can't leave her on her own in a seperate room yet because she still gets in to everything...what are your thoughts?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Resting after a meal

Hi there

Am I right in saying Haley is nearly 6 months old? If so, it won't do her any harm to skip one meal if it's not convenient to feed it - just increase her other meals a bit. Or feed in frozen kongs, slowly, throughout the evening - but that might be difficult if you can't put her somewhere quiet.

I hope you enjoy the BBQ!

3. Meg13

Meg13 Registered Users

Yes she is 5.5 months. That is a great idea, thank you! I will just feed her more at her other meals...I'll bring treats to give her throughout the evening so she doesn't feel deprived haha

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Yes Julie's idea is a good one, something I never thought of actually. If we are going to be out for Penny's dinner time I do take her a packed lunch but it's usually only to my mums and she doesn't play with her dog she we don't have to worry so much.

Other than that it's no exercise half an hour before or after meals.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We try to stick to the 2-3 hours before and half hour after a meal for rambunctious exercise.
    Its a bit of a struggle just now with the two of them as Lilly usually goes out for a poop after meals, and that is interpreted as an opportunity to hoolie by our visitor ::)

I suspect there will be no shortage of snacking opportunities at a BBQ - I hope you have your family/friends briefed in what not to allow them to get at! I guess if they have dogs they will already know though.