Retractable Lead for a 9 month Boisterous Puppy?

Discussion in 'Using the bargains and best buys section' started by Luffy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Luffy

Luffy Registered Users

Dear All,

(Hope this is the right place to post this!)

I wanted to ask if you kind folks could recommend a good retractable lead for my 25kg+ boisterous puppy. Due to his illness, he has had for the past few months; we have not been able to take him to the local park to roam about off-leash. He’s only just recently recovered and the last time I took him out from the usual surroundings 9for a bit of shopping) he was rather unruly on the leash. I am thinking of taking him to the park, but owning to his disposition for free reign and non- compliance :))) I'm really afraid to take him off-leash. I'm thinking the next best thing is to get a robust retractable lead, whereby I can allow him some afforded flexibility to roam around albeit with a little control.

The one I currently have my eyes on is the ‘flexi Dog Lead Professional Giant Dogs - 10m’ - From scouring the internet, the reviews are positive and state that it does well in holding up to the machinations of boisterious doggy up to 50kg in weight.

Before I take the monetary plunge of acquiring it, I would like your opinion/ recommendations as to what I should/shouldn’t buy.

Thanking you kindly in advance.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Luffy, oooh retractable leads are one of my pet hates and I personally wouldn't use one especially on a 25kg boisterous puppy. Could you use a harness and attach a long training lead to it and you could practise his recall?

I know lots of people do use these leads and they will be along to give you their thoughts :) x

Edp, Cath and MaccieD like this.
  3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I quite like retractable leads, and I used one myself when my dog was returning to exercise after injury. It really helped me, and was much more practical than a long line.

But, and I think this is important, my dog is sensible on a retractable lead, and he responds to any tension by relaxing it and turning towards me - so he acts the same way on it as on a much shorter lead. This means I feel very safe with him when I'm using it. Even then, I always have him on a harness when using it.

So, I think getting your dog to walk sensibly on a shorter lead might be a necessary step before you can use a retractable lead safely. But, I do find them very helpful things indeed.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I can't recommend one but here is an idea from one of our trainers. When you are walking puppy have the leash as short as a regular leash, about 6 feet. I suggest a regular leash is easier to use but...

Then when you want to give puppy some more room YOU SIT and don't move. Make sure the leash cannot tangle around things or trip people. This way puppy does not learn he can roam too far while walking but has a bit more room to move out

I must confess, I don't like those leashes either. A neighbour, who admittedly was Not using the leash as recommended by our trainer, got a big, ugly scrape behind her knee when the dog, a 115 lb Lab, lunged behind her. Her husband got his shoulder dislocated when the same dog on the same leash lunged. These people did absolutely no training though, and you are going to train your puppy. ;)

AND, it wasn't this kind of leash but it was a long line, and when two dogs were playing one got it's leg broken in two places when the line wrapped and snapped. I would not let my dog play with a loose leash of any type trailing or let him play with another such dog.

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I tried to use a retractable lead when my dog was on restricted exercise....just the once. She lunged after a cat and I really hurt my shoulder in the process. If you dog is liable to pull or lunge towards other dogs, people, etc I wouldn't recommend one. Instead I used a couple of longer leads linked together and used them with a harness.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

To answer the specific question of 'which lead' (assuming you have noted the caveats about having a dog that stays reasonably under control before you use a longer lead), this is what I used for Charlie:

A fleece back fastening harness:
    http://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/harnesses-fleece-lined.html

And a flexi varo:
    https://fetch.co.uk/flexi-vario-large-8-meter-tape-237285011

Here is Charlie in his kit:

[​IMG]charlie boy by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

[​IMG]harness2 by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

[​IMG]harness1 by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

[​IMG]three by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

7. Luffy

Luffy Registered Users

<Luffy's Dad is now having second thoughts on acquiring a retractable leash!>

Many many thanks y'all for the comments. I think I'm going to have to start from scratch regarding his leash training. I have a harness and collar. I have found that when you put him on the collar Luffy tends to bit at it. I can't quite fathom whether he is trying to tell us that he dislikes it. He seems different when using a harness for walks.

At 9 months he's developed quite a personality! :)

Thank you all once again :)

8. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Charlie is so handsome! I have the same kit for Saba (7 months and reasonably good on a lead), and we cope quite well.

JulieT likes this.
  9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thank you! I think so (of course).

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

In case you come back round to a retractable lead I would second the vote for a tape rather than cord one. The potential for injury is lower with a tape in my opinion. Always have it locked off short except when it's safe to allow roaming.

Good luck with the training, by far the most important thing :)

Debs likes this.
  11. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute Forum Supporter

+! I really dislike the corded ones, especially for a larger dog. I got an uncomfortable rope burn behind my knees from someone else's Lab years ago. I'm not sure they are dangerous to the dog, but they certainly are to the owner and bystanders.

We have a Ruffwear leash made of tubular webbing that has a bungee cord inside. Extended it is about 12' I prefer it to the retractable leashes.

I don't know if Ruffwear markets in the UK, but they have a really good line of dog products geared towards active outdoor dogs. They are headquartered in Bend, Oregon.

Beanwood and bbrown like this.
  12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

yep they do love their collars

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have one of the those bungee leashes from ruff wear. I use it with Casper when he is on lead to give him a bit more room to roam. I do like the ruff wear leads though, nice padded grips that are designed to be flexible too.

14. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute Forum Supporter

I particularly like their life vests. When we canoe or sail with dogs, we need a life vest so we can see them and have a way to get them back in the boat. Tilly always wants to be in the OTHER boat. Cooper hasn't been boating yet, but she will this summer.

15. Indy

Indy Registered Users

If you have a Boisterous puppy and use a retractable lead, you are still going to have a Boisterous puppy.
    You really need to train it heel work on a proper lead wether that is with a fixed collar or a harness. Not that I have used any harness for training heel work.
    I was talking to a Pro dog trainer a few weeks back, one of the main problems people bring their dogs to him is for walking on a loose lead and guess what he said the main culprit of not walking to heel on a loose lead is?
    Retractable Leads.

16. bbrown

I struggle to see what any lead has to do with a dogs ability to walk to heel. My lab walks to heel on any lead including an extendable one. My spaniel does not. The difference is in the respective training and nothing to do with leads.

Tanya and JulieT like this.
  17. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree.

18. Indy

Indy Registered Users

No doubt that your lab can walk to heel on any lead, so can mine.
    Bet it was not taught on one or I could be completely wrong and I am sorry.
    I was only trying help the OP in not using one, as they will still have a boisterous puppy without proper training.

19. bbrown

I think we all agree the only route to a dog walking at heel or on a loose lead is training :)

My comment was really about pro trainers making sweeping statements. Riley was trained using a slip lead, a fixed lead on a collar or a harness and a flexible lead on a harness. I chose his 'wardrobe' to suit the environment we were going to and we had a phase where he would leg it long distances to go and see other dogs. During this stage he spent a lot of time on a flexible lead. My dad still walks him in one.

In my non-pro opinion they have their place which is not wrapped round people's legs or at full stretch walking along a road but that's down to the handler. I've found them a useful addition to my toolset :)