Return of early wakening - need advice

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Desperatedan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Desperatedan

Desperatedan Registered Users

1. Hi. I had already added this to previous thread but think I needed to do as a new post so apologies for this appearing twice.
    2. Having managed to drop the middle of the night trip and got to a place where I got pup up at 11.30 and was able to get through to a 6 am get up time - things appear to have gone pear shaped again.

3. Basically, I got so very tired (now had pup for 6 weeks, he's now 14 weeks old) that, 3 nights ago, I actually slept through 11.30pm alarm and ended up with him waking me at 5.20am with him crying again. Tried to work out a way to respond to his need to get out without reinforcing his crying but, well I clearly failed.

I obviously returned to getting him up the following night but for the last 2 nights he has nevertheless started grumbling from 5.30am despite being up at 11.30 pm, so we've gone backwards again. I'm so frustrated with myself because I'd put so much into getting this right for him and feel I've undone everything so quickly.

I plan to go back to getting him up at 5 am (so half an hour before he's started getting unsettled the last 2 mornings) and moving this slowly towards 6am again, whilst still getting him up at 11.30pm. Does this seem the right way to go?

I've had none of these issues with any of my previous dogs and definitely getting upset with myself. He's generally a much noisier pup than I've had before (all previous dogs were collies/collie crosses) and I'm taking bad with this.

My daughter is due her second baby in May and I'm now getting really concerned that I'm not going to be able to be there for her to help out as I should. I thought I'd have pup settled in the main by then but as I appear to go backwards at the drop of a hat I'm not so sure about that.

I won't give up on him but definitely struggling here now. Any advice gratefully received.

Today at 7:56 AMReport