Rue is getting spayed today :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

And I found out when I got there that they prefer to keep them overnight, which I was NOT expecting. I'm not doing well with this at all! She was so upset when they took her out of the room....she had the "DON'T LEAVE ME!" expression on her face. And I could hear her whimpering. Killed me!

First time puppy mom, so I am freaking out a bit ;)

She will also have to wear one of these for 10-14 days.

[​IMG]ecollar by rue7514, on Flickr

2. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

Re: Rue is getting spayed today :(

Aww never had to leave one over night for spaying our vet likes them home as soon as possible as they do better at home than in a cage in his surgery. I am sure she will be fine. Worse bit is keeping them quiet after it !

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah bless you,Most of us can sympathise with how you felt leaving her.Its a shame that they didn't make tit clear they were keeping her in.You know though ,it's not a bad thing as you worry,worry,worry, when you get them home and you'd have a broken night watching her all the time ....She will more than likely be groggy from the GA and sleepy so she won't know she's there ,and tomorrow when she is over it and doesn't think she's had anything done :eek: ??? You have got the energy to cope.
    The Cone is a strange thing.....don't assume she will need one,some dogs don't .My Dog has never worried his op sites obsessively but he showed me enough times he could get to them so when unsupervised he wore one.I took it off when one of us was sitting with him though and also,when we took him on walks so you can give them breaks.
    Hope she's ok,I know the house is HORRIBLE without them ,they bounce back quickly and in 2 days you will be posting asking to keep her calm and settled while she recovers ;D
    Big hug x

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor girl , you must feel awful , I know I did too . I`ve never had to leave any of mine post spay, but I guess it depends on what time of day the op is carried out, mine were all early morning ops . Re the cone , Millie didn't need one but she did have to have one following her complex eye surgery in August . I found a soft one , called a Buster Collar, its inflatable and she tolerated it very well , much better than the rigid cones . Good luck , try not to worry , it will all soon be a distant memory x

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh yes, I felt terrible when I too Tatze in - a very hard to describe feeling! I wasn't so bad with Gyp as I realised, with Tatze, how quickly they recover :)

But it won't be long before she is home and you are wondering how on earth to keep her calm!

((hugs))

xx

Neither Tatze nor Gypsy needed the cone - they both left the wound completely alone (Tatze had external stitches and Gypsy had internal)

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sending big hugs your way. It is soooo horrible leaving them at the vets ;(
    Hopefully she will be brighter tomorrow and try to get a good nights sleep :D
    Harley never had a cone apart from the first half hour when she came home - she never touched her stitches either :)

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Ah, it's horrible feeling seeing them being taken off by the vet. Maisie stayed in overnight after her spay, which wasn't planned, but I was actually relieved in a way as she was in the right place if she needed something, whereas I would have been up worrying all night! Hope she recovers well. Your biggest challenge will be keeping her "quiet"!

8. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Oh I'm not looking forward to hollie having the op, sending hugs to you and hope she is ok x

9. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It must be horrible to have a puppyless house, now you're used to her bumbling around. Pour yourself a large glass of vino and curl up on the sofa. x

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah best of luck, the house is horrible without them isn't it. It'll soon be over and you'll all be back to normal :)

11. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Hugs to you and Rue....hopefully you'll both sleep well tonight and that the cone won't be necessary. I've never had to use a cone for any of my dogs...and like everyone says, keeping her calm in a few days will be the biggest challenge!

12. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Thanks for the kind words, all. Got a call from the vet ...everything went great. They are going to call later this evening and let me know how she is doing. I just keep thinking about how confused and scared she most likely is. I know they're taking good care of her, but it's still so hard!

And it's good to know most of you didn't have to use the cone. Hopefully that is the case with us.

Tonight, I will do some Christmas gift wrapping while she's gone and unable to shred/eat the paper :)

13. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hope she's feeling fine tomorrow. Tuppence was back to normal very quickly after her spay a few weeks ago. It was difficult getting her not to bounce. I had to hide her toys, except for chewy ones, and walk her on her lead in the garden so she couldn't rush around. She didn't need a cone, though, as she didn't seem to notice the scar at all. Neither did Wispa when she was spayed two years ago.

Trying to keep Rue calm will probably be your next challenge!

14. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

They kept Molly overnight when she was spayed in April. I honestly believe this is the best thing. It meant she was monitored post op and they were able to give her pain killing shots during the night.

She was fine when I picked her up next day. She didn't need a Buster Collar as her would was sealed with super glue.

Previous pets were discharged on the day of their spay so it came as quite a surprise to me, but I think it is an improvement for the animal.

Good luck with the "keeping her quiet bit". Stupid dog didn't seem to realise that she'd had major abdominal surgery ;D

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hope she is ok today. She will be so happy to be home!

16. WillowAndLottie

WillowAndLottie Registered Users

Our two got spayed 2 days ago -we felt guilty but now all the fun of keeping them settled! It's tricky but nice to see them happy again. Little Rue will bounce back fast!! We got doggie babygros/T-Shirts for ours. They look hilarious but they're much more comfortable than pesky collars.

Licks sent your way from Lottie and Willow x

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Let us know how she is when you pick her up x

18. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Hope she's recovering well.

19. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Can't imagine how hard that must be. There's no doubt you'll be suffering more than Rue....! It's not for long, soon you'll have her back and she'll be soooooooooo happy to be home....

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

[quote author=WillowAndLottie link=topic=8992.msg128394#msg128394 date=1417773929]
    We got doggie babygros/T-Shirts for ours. They look hilarious but they're much more comfortable than pesky collars.
    [/quote]
    You do realise you can't throw that little nugget of information in without qualifying it with a photo??
    Don't you? :D