Ruining my lawns!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by cheddar-caveman, Mar 17, 2014.

1. cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman Registered Users

No idea where to post this but hopefully someone will see it here! How can one stop Mella's (female Labrador puppy) pee killing my lawn please?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Ruining my lawns!

I dont really know if this works , but some people add tomato sauce to their dogs dinner and swear that it works on the urine, not loads of sauce , but maybe a teaspoon full , might be worth a go because the only other alternative is to follow her around with a watering can to dilute the pee , sorry ::)

3. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Nothing I've found is effective except stopping them peeing on the lawn. I've tried those rock things you put in their water, rushing out and watering the peed upon area immediately, changing diets, getting them to drink more etc to no avail. It seems quite an individual thing - my last bitch didn't do it at all (fed the same way, etc etc) but the current two have the grass (can't really call it a lawn anymore) covered in yellow patches. I ended up re-seeding large areas in May and August last year. This year with all the rain it looks like the Somme out there anyway.....

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Not just the girls! My boy can kill a young shrub just by thinking about peeing on it! He still does girly squats, and tanks his water bowl 3 or 4 times a day just so he can generate more plant killing juice.

I have a gravel doggy loo now. He still manages to murder a geranium or two on the way to it!

5. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

I recently posted about the state of my lawn!

We are now doing a on lead toilet trip out to the public grass next to my house. Today was day 3 and I think she is getting the idea now!

We put grass seed down on Saturday but didn't buy enough!

6. Lorj2000

Lorj2000 Registered Users

Our lawn was wrecked so we put artificial grass down,looks great n dont have to mow the lawn n sooooo easy to pick up any mess n wash it away.best thing we ever did.

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Simple - lose your pride in your lawn. Believe that toxic wee marks add to the beauty. I have daisies, moss, all kinds of weeds in my lawn, and have learnt to regard it as a little triumph of biodiversity over the constraints of traditional gardening. :D

8. Dr CEM

Dr CEM Registered Users

Hi there, the dog rocks have worked with my older dog (but must be changed regularly) but my pup Buddy just sees pulling them out of the water bowl as a fun game, to be repeated as often as possible!

Good luck!

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=4920.msg61557#msg61557 date=1395093665]
    Simple - lose your pride in your lawn. Believe that toxic wee marks add to the beauty. I have daisies, moss, all kinds of weeds in my lawn, and have learnt to regard it as a little triumph of biodiversity over the constraints of traditional gardening. :D
    [/quote]

Yep. Cognitive readjustment! :) Works for me.

10. cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman Registered Users

OK, I get the message! It's mainly moss anyway! :-\

11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I used to be a lawn fanatic , even used to go round the edges with scissors ( yes, honestly ) to my shame , now its not a lawn any more, its grass with a few different shades to it :)

12. Jules

Jules Registered Users

I've had bitches all my life, some have had pee which killed the lawn, others didn't. It's just the luck of the draw. I've tried everything on the Lawn Killers and nothing has worked. So all I can suggest is follow your pup with a watering can and after she goes, rinse the grass off. This is about the only effective method I've found. Either that or build her a toilet run and don't allow her on the lawn until she has peed in it ;) .

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=4920.msg61557#msg61557 date=1395093665]
    [/quote]

What a coincidence we have exactly the same lawn as you Karen :) x

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

;D ;D ;D

15. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Me too! It's a small price to pay. Owning a lab is much more fun than having a nice lawn.