Running off with things he shouldn't

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tori_lizzie, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Tori_lizzie

Tori_lizzie Registered Users

Hello everyone
    My labrador puppy is 6 months old he's got into a new habit of running of with things he shouldn't such as plastic bags which is his latest trick. He pulled them out of the holder so much it came off the wall!
    So does anyone have any tips? If we attempt to get the item back he thinks were playing, ive tried treats and toys but he just runs around the room or house like a looney.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thank you
    Victoria & Max

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Running off with things he shouldn't

Don't run after him and totally ignore him. You say he isn't interested in treats or toys, but if you look very interested in a toy, talk to it, toss it in the air, I bet he will come to you and investigate and want to swop as he will think you have the best thing :) Also remove the bag holder so that he cannot pull the bags out!

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sympathies - at 15 months my boy still nicks stuff all the time and looks at us, hoping we'll chase him ( we never do).

He has an incredible awareness of the value of things. My reading glasses (I used to have 4 pairs, 3 of which he has crunched up) are the highest value things in the house. I must go out and buy more, but until I do he knows I'm going to swap them for the highest value reward...before he can CRUNCH...

iPhones and iPads are up there...the remote is pretty high...plastic bags? Pah, he'll offer them up, hoping it might be worth a "good boy".

Not daft, these dogs...

4. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Oh Ive got that problem too. Pens, my bras, so blimin expensive to replace, and he loves chewing up cardboard and paper, but thats going off the point a bit, also counter surfing, I have to keep surfaces clear. Follow the good advice, get him to drop the item for a treat. Have you got him to learn the word , treat, he may just pick it up, Otis did. But you could say, pups name, then treat, and he will soon learn it, will come in useful when you call him to retreive the item. Its such a pain isnt it. x

5. Tori_lizzie

Tori_lizzie Registered Users

Thank you all very much for your advice! The bag holder is off the wall, the playing with his toy worked!!! Took him 5 minutes to realise I wanted to play but he dropped all the tissues for his ball.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

;D

7. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

[​IMG] from a teeny tiny black 5 1/2 year old Lab known as The DivaDog

[​IMG]
    and her pet human [​IMG]

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,welcome to the forum lovely to see you here,your puppy sounds lots of fun!
    Dexter wasn't a huge thief to be honest but our policy for dealing with this was just to completely keep temptation out of the way,this was easy for us being a house with just 2 adults in it....if he did get anything we didn't want we always swapped for a treat and it worked x

9. Carolyn

Carolyn Registered Users

Rusty used to do the same but if he has something of value now (my shoes) he will walk by me slowly waiting for the call to bring back for a treat. If no one notices he just sits and waits. They are so clever! Xx