Rusty's fresh start

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by caroleb, Feb 19, 2013.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Hieveryone

sorry long time no post - life is very hectic these days...

I'm very excited though i've finally found someone who has recommended a reward based gun dog trainer near me. I've spoken to her on the phone and she sounds lovely. So over a year since Rusty's grade 2 we're starting again - maybe we will get to grade 3 and beyond after all...

:)

PS very funny today - I'd left a 5 kg dumb bell on the floor and Rusty tried to pick it up - he was very surprised when he couldn't move it ;D

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Rusty's fresh start

That sounds fabulous, Carole. Best of luck with the gundog training. Hope you will like your new trainer. :D

3. debsie

debsie Registered Users

wow sounds great. cant find anyone in Edinburgh who does gun dog training....all require travel and as I am saving up for a car we are stuck just now. My two would love it, hey hoh. Next winter hopefully! be good to hear how Rusty does...

Debbie

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hope all goes well Carole, poor Rusty trying to pick up :)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good luck Carole!

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Carole I hope you and Rusty enjoy the training. Helen x

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Aha! Debsie - I was wondering where I saw your question of Gundog training near Edinburgh - couldn't find where it was.
    I just wondered if you were on Facebook as they are often advertising Gundog Training on the Perthshire Gundog Rescue page. I am sure I have seen it mentioned in several different areas of Scotland, not just around Perthshire.
    Not sure if this is of any help (guess with no car you're kind of limited).
    On the other hand, gives you an opportunity to try out the list of establishment on Dugs 'n' Pubs page - I'm dead jealous! ;)

jac

8. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

thanks everyone

well...

it went really well. She quickly identified the main problem was that both Rusty & I had lost confidence. Very quickly got him flying out for dummies and proving he hadn't forgotten it all. He did very well & we both enjoyed it so much we booked a second session. I also booked a session for Barney to help with general obedience not to do gun dog stuff. The Barney lesson was even more productive the change in him was astonishing! Half an hour in and my boy was sitting in a field and staying put despite baahing lambs next door, birds flying overhead, tractors passing in the lane - in other words all the distractions you don't want in an early training session! So I decided barney will get Rusty's next session instead. Sadly I can't afford to do both and Barney is more of an issue daily.

I was exhausted but pleased to have some actual suggestions that worked on my dog and Barney loved every minute. it's already made a difference in the house - I can get him to stop barking at birds on the lawn with one word! A long way to go outside but hey the problems have been there for years so it wont' be instant but at least now there's hope. Natalie is convinced there's a gun dog in there somewhere so we'll see...

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thats brilliant Carole! So pleased for you all.
    Well done!

jac

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Wonderful, well done you, Rusty and especially Barney :D

11. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

So pleased to hear that you all enjoyed it ;D You said you were looking for a reward based trainer. Did you use food treats as rewards?

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's great news Carole, onwards and upwards. I hope Charlie's first lesson goes half as well!! Helen x :D

13. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Carole, that is such good news. Does Natalie have a website link you could post so that others in your area can contact her?

Pippa

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Brilliant, well done! :D

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thats really good news Carole , go the boys :) :)

16. debsie

debsie Registered Users

hey that sounds brilliant...really glad you enjoyed it, and looking forward to regular updates! I'm dead keen to try this with my two. Cuillin is getting really into retreives and find it now so think she would love, and might help build her confidence too...and from what you say about Barney's triumphs Brodick would benefit too ! (rabbits...ahhhh. the rest of the world ceases to exist...)

Jac really sorry I missed your post to me about Gundog training in Perthsire....thanks, I will have a look. My pals have got cars and have said they will take us, so will let you know how I do sorting out somewhere. Edinburgh is also pretty dire for Kennel Club Good Citizenship classes, but I think Gundog training would be better anyway from what Carole has said...

The Dugs and Pubs website is brilliant! me and the Furry Crew of Two have been trying out some of the local pubs. They give the pups chews, and my pals sneak them crisps, so now whenever we go past one near my home theyget really excited and try and drag me in the door...quite embarassing really...

17. David

David Registered Users

Good news. Well dones all round. 8)

18. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

thanks everyone

Pippa - Natalie Cannon is her name and she doesn't have a website it's all word of mouth. She's based near Newport Pagnell her number is 07979 478394.

The reward is all praise - very enthusiastic praise, rather than treats funny I didn't even notice until afterwards I hadn't used a single treat - I didn't have time to think about that and what I was doing! We also used a retrieve as a reward for barney as this clearly was effective for him.

The main difference for me is that she see's the importance in making it fun for both dog and handler, and while we really had to work hard to stay on top of Barney it was still fun for him - :)

She's also organising a scurry to raise money for medical detection dogs so I'll pop the details on the events section later if anyone is in the area and fancies a go.

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Carole, Natalie sounds wonderful, I hope Annie will be as brilliant. She only asked me to bring Charlie's favourite toys but didn't mention treats. Soon find out! Sounds like you all had a great time. Helen x :D

20. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Oh my I'm exhausted! Just got back from my hour with Natalie which once again was actually more like 90 minutes. This time we were working on Barney's dog distraction. Barney is really over social and wants to play with everyone but of course not everyone wants to play with him.

We started with me getting him to walk nicely on the lead with her with a spaniel on the lane next to the field and worked up to 3 spaniels off lead, dummies being thrown and Barney actually ignoring it all!

Very pleased with his progress and I got lots of "good girls" too ;D

All done with really firm "leave it" and lots of praise. At the end the other dogs were put out of sight and we did some sit/stay before letting have a run & play which he did for a short time then came over and sat nicely where we were talking. Because he'd come back nicely of his own accord to be with us he got some biscuits and lots of praise from Natalie. He loved it.

Got a break next week as I'm away working but I'm confident if I keep up my homework we'll see an improvement. Cant say how pleased with him I am :D