Sad Labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Stacia, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My five and a half year old Labrador has lost his companion who he has lived with all his life. Sadly my beloved Drift became ill and three days later was put to sleep nearly a week ago, all unexpected even if he was 11 years old, he was a fit dog.

I came back unexpectedly today and heard Rourke howling, he had only been left barely 2 hours. Has anyone any ideas what I can do to help him?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, Stacia, that is so sad :(
    I'm so sorry for your loss, and for Rourke's.

I suppose the crux of it is separation anxiety, as he won't have been left alone in a long time, so addressing it like that might help. But, to be honest, it's probably just time that's going to heal the pain, for both of you.

Stacia likes this.
  3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I'm very sorry that you and Rourke are having to go through this. I know you must miss Drift very much. I've no advice really, other than to get Rourke used to being left very gradually, as if he was a puppy. Thinking of you.

Stacia likes this.
  4. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Oh @Stacia, I am so so sorry for your and Rourkes' loss. I have no advice to offer. What an incredibly sad day.

Stacia likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Im very sorry for your loss of Drift. i can only say what helped Moo.She got little bits of really nice food in her meals her favorite walks nice massages and brushes. I broke her routine took her everywhere new places and places she loved.it's hard because I missed Doug terribly too but I worked hard to make her feel less lonely and treasured.She was generally low for a few months health wise and mentally, but improved slowly as I kept getting her to do stuff. What really helped strangly was going on holiday. We took her to the seaside which she loves and she spent a lot of time with us and Rory. The break from home change of atmosphere really cheered her up.She was much happier and has done well every since. I also have Rory who although he too was upset kept her company and entertained her.

drjs@5, Emily_BabbelHund and Stacia like this.
  6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh I am so sorry @Stacia . Dogs do grieve , I know they do because Sam did when we lost dear little Millie . I found the best way to help was to keep the dynamics just the same , the routine within the house . We also took Sam to a couple of new places which he seemed to relish , lifting his spirits but we still took him to Golitha Falls on Bodmin Moor where we had taken them both every day . It was heart breaking at first, to see Sam looking for his little friend but slowly he adapted to life without her , thankfully quicker than we did . Poor Rourke , its tough for them, but time will help to heal the hole left , for both of you , in my thoughts xx

Emily_BabbelHund and Stacia like this.
  7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

@SwampDonkey and @kateincornwall thank you and everyone else for your kind words. I will give Rourke tasty bits and nice massages and brushes and he has been to some new places. This afternoon I am going back to where Drift had his last walk before we knew he was ill (started the next day), so it is going to be very hard for me and Rourke. Since Drift died, Rourke did training three days running, just to take his mind off it and so far he has had a dog friend to go for a walk with. Rourke seemed ok for the first five days, but is very quiet now and depressed, he did see Drift's body as I had him put to sleep here, I just hope that time heals. It was so distressing hearing him howl when we came home.

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

No wonder it was distressing for you @Stacia but with your ongoing care , Rourke will cope and beging to heal , no doubting that . Just take care of yourself too , I am thinking of you x

Stacia likes this.
  9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I have no suggestions. I want to offer my condolences to you and to Rourke at this terribly sad time xx

Stacia likes this.
  10. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

No advice from me, I just wanted to say that I'm very sorry for your loss. :hug:

Stacia likes this.
  11. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Ah, that is sad, so sorry for you and your grieving little dog. Lots of good words from others, nothing for me to add, just sympathy x

Stacia likes this.
  12. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

When we had to put our Sasha down 2 years ago, Jazz mourned for her for a while. Jazz had never been without her playmate so it was very disconcerting for her. We did a lot of spoiling, and as much as we dearly missed Sasha, we found we could offer Jazz the extra things which were sometimes harder to do with 2 dogs...trips to town, longer walks, more swims and boat rides. I'm so very sorry for your loss...it leaves such a big hole in the heart. Be kind to yourself and Rourke. ❤️

Stacia likes this.
  13. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

This is so sad. Poor Rourke...and poor you..:(:(

Stacia likes this.
  14. MF

MF Registered Users

I am so sorry @Stacia. I am so terribly sad for you and for Rourke. Just devastating to lose a friend, for both of you. You are both in my thoughts.

Stacia likes this.
  15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:(
    Sounds like getting out and about and keeping busy might help a little.

Stacia likes this.
  16. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Just wanted to say sorry for your loss. Hope Rourke and you over time find it easier, which I am sure you will.

Stacia likes this.
  17. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

How very sad, I'm so sorry to read this:hug:

Stacia likes this.
  18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's so very sad for you all. I think time, routine, patience and love will be the best thing for Rourke which you have in spades. Take care of yourself Stacia. Thinking of you all xxxx :hug:

Stacia likes this.
  19. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I don't have any words of wisdom to add to those already given, I feel so sad for you and Rourke.

Stacia likes this.
  20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Thank you for all your kind words and thoughtfulness, it does help. Poor little Rourke, though he isn't little in stature, seems so sad, he has never lived alone in his life. I will try and fill the gap; he did have a good walk yesterday with his Greyhound friend, I went back to the last place that we had walked with Drift, felt I had to face it.

selina27 likes this.