Safe garden mulch for dogs?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by bbrown, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I know that cocoa mulch is a no-no but is there anything else I should be wary of when looking for a mulch for my garden. Can anyone suggest a mulch that's definitely safe?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Safe garden mulch for dogs?

Hi Barbara , just had a quick check for you with Dogs Trust , they say to use Bark chippings or gravel , its usually shredded pine bark shavings, hope this helps .

3. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Interesting point - it hadn't occurred to me to worry about most mulches, but I can see that the bark chips would be particularly harmless. If you're mulching to overwinter your perennials, though, I'm not convinced that gravel will be warm enough....

4. bbrown

I was looking at 'Strulch' that is available from Crocus, it's straw based and used by the RHS. We've got very poor soil and it would help improve it. Crocus thought it would be safe but Riley's safety is paramount so will probably stick to bark chippings.

5. Sammie@labforumHQ

How about using the straw based one on key 'poor' areas, but pegging a cloche down over the top, so that Riley can't get at it?

6. bbrown

Good idea!

Sadly my mum has told me to man up and double dig my beds properly and put some organic matter in at the same time. So one bed down and the second (larger) bed to go! Am hoping it helps shift the baby weight lol :D

7. Sammie@labforumHQ

Ouch! I am much too lazy to double dig. I tell myself it's because I am one of those gardeners that 'doesn't believe in it'...

8. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Fortunately we have such thin soil that double digging just brings up the subsoil ;D I use my spent gro-bags from the greenhouse as a winter mulch, works really well for us.