Sassy Pup

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Joolie, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Joolie

Joolie Registered Users

Hi Everyone,
    So I’m taking care of my son’s new 10-week old Labrador pup! We have a 6 year old female lab! The pup likes to nip our lab a lot and then she growls and the pup doesn’t back down! Our Lab is very passive except for the nipping! What can I do to stop this?

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

I would say keep them apart as much as possible and only allow short supervised interactions. We have just had the week of all weeks with a 14month old cocker spaniel staying. Poor Toby only got some peace when they were in separate rooms and she didn’t back down when Toby growled at her. She was definitely the boss in his house and it wasn’t pleasant to watch. She is now booked to see a behaviourist due to her excessive jealously.
    Completely different with a young puppy who wants to play but don’t underestimate the damage an older dog can inflict when goaded. Hopefully in time she will teach her but the puppy has been used to sparing with other litter mates and is very young to know anything else. Stair gates are very useful at this age.

3. ameliamont63

ameliamont63 Registered Users

Please keep them apart. Since it's still a pup they only think that your Lab is only playing.