Scared of wood floors

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by danbarlow, May 2, 2016.

1. danbarlow

danbarlow Registered Users

Hi guys looking for some advice, our 5 1/2yr old chocolate lab had a fit/sezure about 4 weeks ago, since then he has been terrified of our laminate floors. He has had a couple of slips, he digs his claws which just makes things worse. His legs and whole body shake and he pants . We have difficulty getting him in the house, we have to bribe him with treats and show him his lead, any help would be great

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Poor boy, hope he is ok now. Only suggestion I can come up with is non-slip, rubber backed carpet runners. Maybe if he gets over his fear you could remove them. We don't know why my sister's dog was afraid of any smooth, hard surface indoor flooring but he would sometimes walk backwards to get across places it could not be avoided. All his 16.5 year long life I'm sorry to tell you.

Welcome, sorry it's this concern that brought you though. Hope some others have more ideas.

Cath likes this.
  3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

My lab is scared of slippy floors and any new floor or boundary is met with extreme caution after slipping on holiday in Wales when young.
    I think the best thing to do is to put management in place until you can work out if he'll get over his fears. This means get some mats, several is good as then you can gradually open up some gaps between them. You may find it's only your laminate floors that scare him or you may find, as I did, that your dog gets better on slippery floors he was constantly on but new floors are always tested carefully.

I hope he's well now and you both find a way round this. It's awful to see them scared isn't it :(

4. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Sorry to hear your boy suffered a seizure, they are horrid for the dog and the owner aren't they.
    I can't add any advice to what has already been said.
    Hope he overcomes his fears.
    Welcome to the forum from me (Donna) and Dexter 11 months.
    What is your lovely boy called?

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum. Really sorry to hear of your boy's seizure. It must have been very distressing for both of you. I would agree with Snowshoe that the way forward would be to put down some non-slip mats for your boy to walk on. From your description of his shaking and panting it doe sound as if he is very unhappy with the floors as they are. It may be that overtime he improves and you can remove the mats but it could be a slow process removing them a little at a time.

Do you know the cause of the seizure? What's your boy's name?

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome to you and your boy. Sorry to hear about his seizure

My girl is really bad on different floors.
    Can be a challenge if on holiday as a lot of holiday dog-friendly places have laminate floors.
    One holiday Lilly spent as much time outside as she could get away with.
    She struggled when we changed out flooring in our kitchen and family room, but is getting used to it, coming up to a year on. If she gets a small startle she really struggles though.

Best advice is to get as many mats around as possible to make him feel safe.

Our biggest challenge with surfaces if persuading Lilly to go in a public toilet - they are always tiled - she always refuses point blank. I would never leave her outside, so often end up crossing my legs and gritting my teeth.

Hope you manage to resolve this problem.

bbrown likes this.
  7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We have wooden and tiled flooring downstairs. Our 5 month old puppy is all legs now, but hasn't yet got her co-ordination sorted, plus I do worry about the effect on her young joints of slipping. We have the large rubber backed vet bed from zooplus around the place, soft and comfy. Very reasonable and easy to chuck in the washing machine.

We have the 100x150cm ones, work very well as a hallway runner.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_beds_baskets/dog_blankets/vetbed/298729

bbrown likes this.
  8. Scouts Owner

Scouts Owner Registered Users

The same thing just happened to our lab. How long did it take for him to get comfortable with the floors again?