Seeking advice on new puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jilly, Jan 7, 2019.

?

Seeking advice regards my concerns on newly acquired puppy with droopy lower eyelids

1. Seeking advice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jilly

Jilly Registered Users

Hello (new to the forum from Australia)

Recently purchased a lab puppy from a registered breeder and who helped to select my puppy. I have noticed that the young puppy appears to have droopy lower lids and discharge seems to reappear several times over the course of the day. At the time of my visits to the breeder I did not observe this characteristic in any of the puppies or Sire or Bitch, and perceived them to all look healthy. I now have some concerns as I would not knowingly want or would select a puppy that has this characteristic as I suspect it may pose ongoing health issues i.e. lower exposed laxity of lids being at risk of possible environmental irritants like dust etc. and therefore ongoing irritable eyes and discharge from them requiring possibly ongoing attention. It upsets me as I did my research on the breeder etc. in good faith, and of course the puppy is a dear thing, BUT I do have concerns about the future health and well-being of the puppy. I have not observed these droopy lower eyelids in Labradors before.

Any advice moving forward.

Regards

Jill (Australia)

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

I'm sorry your pup is not feeling well. I suggest the first thing you do is contact the breeder. If you signed a contract there's most likely something about the breeder paying for a illnesses the pup had when you bought it or taking the puppy back if that's what you choose to do.

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Jilly

By all means discuss it with the breeder. But I would also talk to your vet. My Lab has lower eye lids that are somewhat droopy compared to other Lab's I have owned. She is 9 years old. She has never had any problems with her eyes. The point: there is considerable diversity in how Lab are put together. Your vet will know whether it is within the appropriate range.

4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Tilly has always had droopy lower lids. They make her look a little sad, like a blood hound, but don't really cause a problem. We do put drops in her eyes if she has a gooey discharge. I don't think it related, but she has never been a very visual dog. Our first Lab, Ginger and our youngest, Cooper are very sight oriented, while Tilly is all about the smell.

5. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

I was a bit concerned when I saw pics of my puppy she had tear stains round her eyes.
    The breeder had her 8 week check up at the vets and everything was fine.
    Sometimes the immunity is a bit low so I read on the web.
    You should get the breeders or your vet to get the pup checked as it could be the hereditary condition Ectropion.