Seeking Solution for Persistent Bedding Chewer

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by Deborah Jowers, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Deborah Jowers

Deborah Jowers Registered Users

Our 10 month old female Chocolate Lab's latest favorite snack is her bedding. She is crated at night and the problem usually occurs when she wakes an hour or so before her breakfast time and to entertain herself she starts chewing on her bedding. We've tried fleece blankets and supposedly durable canvas type bed cover, but she easily chews through both. We've also tried putting chew toys in her crate, but she still opts for the fabric. She doesn't totally shred the bedding, just quietly chews here and there, usually along the edge, and I know that she is at least occasionally ingesting some. I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with the supposedly "chew proof" beds from Orvis or K9Ballistics. Also, what other solutions are there if even these do not work? If it comes to down to having no bedding at all, what kind of health issues might that cause later if she's forced to sleep on a hard surface? Thanks in advance for any suggestions from those who have experienced this as well.

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Have you tried Vetbed?

3. Deborah Jowers

Deborah Jowers Registered Users

I have not because I didn't think there was anything about Vetbed that would deter chewing. Is it considered "chew proof" or know for deterring persistent chewers?

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

It is the only bedding I will use for puppies and chewers. I have pieces of Vetbed here which I have had for over 10 years. A few chewed corners and one with a hole in the middle, but generally we see very little damage to vetbed.

5. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Vet bed worked for my obsessive chewer. The only reason I didn't suggest it is because I thought that might be what you meant by fleece type blankets. The green backed stuff is best in my opinion, durable, easy to wash and dry and dogs just don't seem to enjoy chewing it. Super cheap (at least compared to orvis beds) and you'll always find a use for it, I still use it as a topper on his raised bed and in the car, and even have a piece rolled up as a draught excluder on the kitchen door ( I promise I don't work for the company!).
    I do like the look of the orvis beds and they have a money back guarantee so I'd love to hear how you get on if you do buy one, I suspect a determined chewer like mine would probably target the zip first then make short work of the rest.