Setting your clock by a Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by kateincornwall, Mar 16, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I`m sure it must be a breed trait as my others had been the same . Sam stirs at around 7 , 7.30 if I am very lucky, for breakfast at around 7.45 . He will then happily plod around the garden or snooze on a rainy day but only until 8.30 when the stare starts , eyes boring into mine just waiting for the tell tale signs, wellie socks on , gloves , dog walking coat and oh joy , his lead and dummy :)
    The rest of day he will be just knocking about, snoozing or meandering in the garden having a little pruning session but at 2.30, the routine starts again , ever watchful eyes for the afternoons walk . Once home , I make him wait for an hour to stave off any chance of bloat but then it starts again , plods to the kitchen , looks at his dish with questioning eyes ::) The funny thing is that if we are away with him, he doesnt do it, just accepts that routine is different but at home , I could set the clock by him I`m sure :)

2. David

David Registered Users

Re: Setting your clock by a Lab

Although our routine is a bit different, Lady also seems to have an in-built clock. She's not a morning girl, so the most we get at breakfast is maybe a half opened eye watching us from her bed under the kitchen table. later on though it's pretty similar. Head up at every move around 4 o'clock to see if it's walk time. Heads up around 7 o'clock to see if it's supper time and she can hear kibles going into a bowl through two sets of closed doors! Then again at bedtime around 10:30 - completely stone deaf and refuses to open an eye or budge! ;D

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yep.....
    Don't really need an alarm in the morning. She always wanders through at 6.15 for a wee cuddle on the bed before the alarm at 6.30.
    I have tried just ignoring her (when she first started doing it I thought she needed out for a pee ::) ) and she just repeatedly gives a short quiet wheek until you pat the bed as a signal to jump up.
    And funnily enough, 6.15 in the evening - about the only time she will come and sit next to us and put her chin on a knee!

jac

4. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Maia's puddle clock is infallible. Eleven in the morning, three in the afternoon and then eight in the evening. Stares, wriggles, pacing and nose nudges if I'm not tuned in.
    Juno's feeding time was sacrosanct and protected by very hard stares and an even harder paw (with claws) on the knee.
    Hebe takes whatever comes and whenever it arrives, a different upbringing I think.
    The best was Sian, (our welsh Irish wolfhound) who was Pavlovian in response to The Archers theme tune, but on the second airing (ie the closing music) that meant walk time and she would stand by the back door refusing to move until lead was attached and off we went. Didn't matter if it was the seven or two o'clock edition, same response. We've not made the same "mistake" again ;)

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

It's not really time oriented but Riley shoots up like he's been shot when the tv clicks off at the end of the evening as that's pee time followed by a treat for getting smartly into his bed :)

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Saw this just now on FB
    [​IMG]

7. debsie

debsie Registered Users

mine seem to know 'work' time...about ten minutes before I leave to go to work, which is usually the same time every day, they will get up on sofas and start snoozing, Cuillin sometimes obligingly puts herself in her crate...they do it at the weekends too or i would have thought it was just m pre work routines they were wreacting to, but weekend routines are different...

8. themartinlabs

themartinlabs Registered Users

Our three month old has too pee every morning at 5:30. You have about ten seconds to grab her once she starts stirring or the flood gres will open all over the bed.