Settling on trips

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by charlie chan, Jan 25, 2017.

1. charlie chan

charlie chan Registered Users

anyone have advice in settling down a lab pup while on motortrips?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum. I moved your question to a new thread because it's more likely to get more answers this way.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze and Mollie :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, a black Lab and she's three years old. Tatze means 'paw' in German.

Mollie is my fourth Guide Dog puppy, a black Lab and she's seventeen weeks old.

How old is your pup?

4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from Fred, Annie and me. Annie is the only dog that I have had, that didn't like the car. So everyday I took her out in it for 5 mins, and then 10 mins and so on. I didn't talk to her if she cried. After about a week she was fine. Now she loves the car and goes to France in the car for her holiday with no trouble.

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Like Cath, I'd suggest spending some time taking her on very short, boring trips (maybe only a couple of minutes, round the block and back to the house). Ignore any noise from her. If you can, have someone with you who will treat her for being quiet. Build up the time and see if that helps?

6. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper's first major trip was with the Breeder who traveled all the way across Oregon (390 miles) with two Lab Pups in the cab of their Truck. We collected her and took her home about 20 miles with no issues. A day or so later we took her out and she was quite unhappy with riding. We did several 1 or 2 mile short trips with Coop riding in my wife's lap. Always no stress trips. After a few short trips she was fine with riding and has been ever since. Most of the time both she and Tilly ride together, either in the back seat or the wayback in our Outback.